Would you do this ??

My husband is getting a huge promotion in September of next year but until then he has to really work his butt off. We don't own a house but we do have about 6,000 in debt due to both vehicles and credit cards. We don't have any kids together ( I have stepchildren) but they are only here on weekends. I work 8 to 4 Mon-Fri and was considering getting a 2nd job just to help out since he'd be working so much. We don't "need" the money to survive or anything, but it would give us a jump start to buying our house when his promotion finally goes through. Would you do that? My husband doesn't want me to because he doesn't want me having to work alot more but I really don't mind and would enjoy it (enjoy the money part of it anyways). What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• OP here:: I meant Sept of this year !!
    Anonymous

• if it helps you get to where you're already headed just a bit faster....go for it.

as long as it doesn't wipe you out completely, make sure you stay healthy get your rest etc...

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:12 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Yeah, I would get a second job if you're bored at home while he's working. Would give you guys more money and would keep you from being bored.. go for it!
    Anonymous

• As long as it didn't start effecting your health or relationship then I don't see why it would be a problem. Before kids I had 2 jobs and so did DH to help us get as much of our mortgage paid off and have a nice savings for when the kids were finally here so at least one of us could stay home.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:14 PM on May. 3, 2010

• sOUNDS LIKE THE TYPICAL DEBT TRAP, PROMOTION, THEN HIGHER BILLS, THEN MORE WORK, LESS TIME FOR FAMILY FUN.

I wouldnt. Promotion should be to keep you guys ahead. pay off your debts with his promotion.

DAVE RAMSEY IS MY ADVICE FOR YOU.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 3:17 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I think you would just be taking away the chance for someone else to get that job that you really dont need.
    Anonymous

• I would do it for sure! Why not get ahead..you could get the cars paid off faster and have no paments when you get your home. now is the time to get ahead before you have a family. Trust me you will enjoy having some saving when it comes time to have a home and kids if they are in your future.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:19 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I agree with the dave ramsey plan. It is a great financial program...

He says to do these steps:
    1. Save an emergency fund of $1000
    2. Pay off all debt as fast as you can!! Sell stuff you dont need, and work extra to get rid of it.
    3. save money so you dont have to go into debt..live on a budget..the plan goes on but that is the jist of it to get you started. In his program he tells you how to accomplish all of these things. I think working extra would help you have savings and pay off debt. 2 very good things to do BEFORE you get a house!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:23 PM on May. 3, 2010

• If I was in your situation, with no kids, only stepkids, then I would definitely do it. GL with whatever you choose! :)
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 3:44 PM on May. 3, 2010

• You can do anything if it is only temporarily. I didn't hear anything about you going more into debt- just wanting to be ready to buy a home when the time is right. If you can get your husband to agree to it (remind him that it is only for a few months) I would do it .

And then if he doesn't get a promotion, well it didn't hurt you any to work for a few months.

Also check out Dave Ramsey or DaveRamsey.com.
    Anonymous