Has anyone here tried Xanax for anxiety? I have bad anxiety, but I'm worried about the side effects from taking something like this. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Health

• My doctor gave me the lowest dosage possible. The only thing I noticed was it made me sleepy....almost like I took a Benadryl kinda sleepy.
    Anonymous

• OP here. Did it help with your anxiety? Also, I drink alcohol to combat my anxiety and I really want to stop drinking. Do you think something like Xanax will help? Will I not be anxious after I stop taking it?
    Anonymous

• It helps a ton. I can get by with 1/4 of the low dose. I simply break it in half and then break that half in half. If takes the edge off of my anxiety and makes me feel like myself. As a teen, I had to take Xanax before UIO and One Act Play competitions. I've had to take it as and adult when something really had me nervous like a big change, move, or huge fight with my husband. It's gotten me through some really tough times. Just be sure to not take it unless you need it because it is addictive. I only used it as needed so never had any troubles, but my mom is addicted. She takes 2 to 4 Xanax every day and has done so for years.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:48 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Oh, and anything more than 1/4 tablet will make you sleepy, but if you take it regularly your body gets used to it and you no longer get sleepy when on it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:49 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Just saw your 2nd comment. You cannot drink while taking Xanax. Don't take the two together. Xanax will help way more with anxiety than alcohol will, plus it's legal to take it and drive or work, etc.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:50 PM on May. 3, 2010

• did your dr. give you any other coping ideas?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:52 PM on May. 3, 2010

• It helped a lot with my anxiety just the sleepy side affect. Just be reallly careful about taking the Xanax to make sure you don't drink with it....Talk to your doctor about it....s/he would be the best to decide if that would be a good route for you....

I wasn't anxious after I took and in fact I only take it every once in a while when my anxiety starts to perk back up. I'm on it for about a month's time then off of it for several months. Lexapro was something I took more constant (until I got pregnant) that worked REALLY well for my anxiety.

Anonymous

• OP here: I haven't gone to the dr yet, I was thinking about it though. I'm really tired of feeling like this. It's hard to do a good job at work when I'm constantly on edge. I want to stop having a couple of drinks every, but when I get home that's the first thing I reach for because it helps me feel better. Would a general practitioner be able to help? Or do I need to get a referral to see someone else? That part confuses me too.
    Anonymous

• This prescription will take away your anxiety, the problem is that it makes you feel so good that get hooked on it quickly, you want to keep on feeling good!

Answer by older at 4:09 PM on May. 3, 2010

• thriving mom's right. a low dose helps but for things like event that will increase your anxiety. And since your body responds to it right away (in a day) it can be addictive. I took it when cuz I had a lot of anxiety due to work and my grandfather passing away a few months before. I didn't take it for long becuz although I broke the very small dose in half I still had bad side effects. I felt numb. Probably would have been best to take the 1/4 of the pill as stated above.

I decided to take a medication that was for a longer period. It took about a month to take effect and the benefit was it was non-addictive. I highly recommend looking into something else if your anxiety is an ongoing thing rather then when events occur.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:27 PM on May. 3, 2010