Is this mean?

My son misspelled 'literature' in his assignment book because he said he couldn't read the teacher's handwriting (he wrote literire). I said it shouldn't matter how it was written on the board because if you sound this out you should know it's not even close to being right. He worked on sounding it out, then I helped him, and had him write it 5 times. He wasn't too happy with me, but his sister went along with it happily and learned something new. Was I being helpful or mean? (He's 11).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• by 11 this shouldn't be an issue. no, you were filling the gaps. Just like you should.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:12 PM on May. 3, 2010

• You did good

Answer by admckenzie at 4:11 PM on May. 3, 2010

• You were being helpful, I use to rip in little pieces homework that wasn't up to my expectations, and they had to do it over again, this only happemed a few times, then their papers were done right the first time, you did good moma!

Answer by older at 4:11 PM on May. 3, 2010

• You were helping him. Of course he's not going to want to study spelling. He's a boy, and he's 11. You were not being mean.
    Anonymous

• Helpful. I always hated when I couldn't understand a teachers writing, esp if it's part of their subject.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 4:13 PM on May. 3, 2010

• depends on your tone of voice, i think....sounds like you educated him well, so I would say good for you ! I would have done the same thing......as long as you didn't make him feel stupid.....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 4:13 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Helpful.. I used to mess up at times when I was younger like that, my mom would be soo mad and make me do what you did, then after awhile i started meeting her expectations. Now that I am a mommy I know I will be doing the same thing when my girls go to school!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 4:17 PM on May. 3, 2010

• you did good.

my oldest's teacher has them write their errors out 5 times too.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:21 PM on May. 3, 2010

• OP - Thanks guys! I also make them re-do things that I know are not their personal best like a previous poster said. If they are rushing and writing sloppy then they haven't saved any time at all because now they have to re-write and it will take twice as long.
    He's still angry with me, but I bet he spells literature correctly tomorrow, lol.
    Anonymous

• He's 11 - he's going to be mad at you. You did what you thought was right (and I've done the same thing to my kids).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:37 PM on May. 3, 2010