If you homeschool your kids...do you ever feel guilty?

My 10 year old daughter is a social butterfly wannabe.....was I wrong to homeschool her? I feel guilty:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My homeschooled children are involved in many classes and activities. I have nothing to feel guilty about. Sometimes I think we need to cut back on our activities.
    Anonymous

• I don't feel bad. Public school was horrible for my kid. Horrible for many kids, we live in a violent area. And even the private schools around here are not much safer. So no matter what happens I know I had to do it to keep her safe.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:48 PM on May. 3, 2010

• If you are homeschooling, then you know as well as anyone that for the most part there are endless chances for social interactions. This is especially true if you live in large community with a lot of active homeschoolers. Do you have a co-op? 4H? Scouts? Sports via YMCA? Boy N' Girls Club? Belong to a Church? Do you have museums or college near you? Do they offer homeschooling classes? Does a local bowling ally, skating ranks, ice skating ranks, or other places have homeschooling specials? We sometimes will go bowling or skating on a homeschool special day. It cost $1 for us (the homeschool rate) and we get to meet other homeschooler. Perhaps you don't live in a community that has all of these things, but more then likely you do, it's just a matter of finding them! As your first response said sometimes we have to say No to things! I do NOT feel guilty! My kids have friends and their social needs are being met.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:49 PM on May. 3, 2010

• honestly .. i dont mean this in a mean way, but i think you should feel guilty. she NEEDS to socialize. but shes only 10, its not too late. why dont you put her in school now?? she can still make lots of friends and get used to real school, shes still young!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:50 PM on May. 3, 2010

• BTW all these activities and groups homeschool parents talk about, thats fine thats nice ... but what about homecoming and prom and school dances, and cheerleading and all those things that there going to miss out on??? they dont have prom for homeschoolers at the ymca!!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:51 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Prom? Read this Chicago Tribune Article that was posted this week. Yes homeschoolers have prom!

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:54 PM on May. 3, 2010

• In regards to cheerleading. We have a local gymnastic/cheerleading/dance place. The kids participate in state wide competitions and have to try out to be on the cheer team just like "school". Yes there are dances and I already directed you to an article about homeschoolers have a prom and yes it's not at the YMCA, but it was a PROM!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:02 PM on May. 3, 2010

• did you not read my last comment about your article on the homeschool "prom" if thats what u wanna call it?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:08 PM on May. 3, 2010

• That was just one recent example of homeschoolers having a prom there are others and they aren't all that "restrictive". It really just depends on whose doing it. Some of them even allow couples of the SAME sex; unlike one un-name public school recently. There are dances, parties, and all the rest. I just depends. I was showing just one "recent" example of how there are proms, dances, etc.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:09 PM on May. 3, 2010

• These are 2 additional examples of homeschooler prom Christian Homeshool Prom in TX (that was sold out); and a homeschool prom in western PA.  It's all about location; some areas have higher homeschool numbers and have better success with these type of things. :)

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:21 PM on May. 3, 2010