What to do about clogged milk duct, when you aren't nursing....

I just weaned my daughter very slowly by dropping a feeding every week or so. I'm completely done now for the past week. Last night I started not feeling well and today I feel like total crap. I have a bad headache, and am nauseous. Also, my left breast is very sore and has hard spots in it. I looked up all the info on mastitis and don't know if this is what I have. My breast is not red anywhere, and it not in severe pain. I don't know if I'm supposed to massage it, or not because of retriggering the breastmilk. I called the doctors office and she said I need to come in to get antibiotics. I'm really not able to leave work for dr appointments unless I use my sick time and I really need to save it. Any home remedy ideas besides nursing or pumping? Also, do you know what antibiotic they prescribe?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 4:47 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cabbage leaves
    Anonymous

• when i had clogged milk duds i just massaged them
    Anonymous

• If you're running a fever then it's mastitis and you will NEED to see your dr to get antibiotics or it will turn into an absess and get really bad. I ran 105.7 when I had mastitis. A fever over 102 is typical for mastitis.

The antibiotic your dr prescribes will depend on lots of things. Your dr won't be limited to BFing friendly antibiotics since you're completely through BF, so I'm not sure what you'll get. Pennicilin is pretty common if you're still BFing. I'm allergic to Pennicilin so my dr gives me Keflex. It's not strong enough so it usually takes two rounds.

If you're not running fever try warm compresses, hot showers and massage the hard area.

Good luck.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:52 PM on May. 3, 2010