Crazy baby movement

I am 38 weeks along and I was laying down for a nap when I was woken quite suddenly by a pain in my belly. I tried shifting postion a little and the baby started to thrash around like she was going to find her own way out (through my belly button, maybe?) It was really , really painful and I had to struggle to sit up (which I was hoping would make her stop) and it lasted for about a minute. Then all was quiet again and she hasn't moved in the last ten minutes...
Is that normal? Maybe just repostioning herself? At an ultrasound two weeks ago she was already head down... My mom is worried though

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Do you have a fetascope? It will reassure you to hear her heart beat. You can probably hear it with a regular stethoscope at this point.

My little one does that all the time. No pattern to it that I can discern. She just moves really rapidly into a new position every few days. If you feel worried, call your health care provider. If you have a minute clinic at the local pharmacy, they can check the heart tones for you to ease your mind.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:20 PM on May. 3, 2010

• my daughter does this allll the time. its painful and annoying. she may have flipped. thats what happened to me:/ but she is continually moving and shifteing still. im 37 weeks
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 5:18 PM on May. 3, 2010

• normal.

my middle dd used to do somersaults - painful and alien like (really good birth control for the teens at the mcdonalds one day when she decided to do her little gym routine). she used to stretch out across - hands up on one side of the belly and feet pushing on the other side. OW.

you'll meet your bundle soon!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:36 PM on May. 3, 2010