39 weeks and nothing has progressed...took castor oil

okay im 39 weeks, my baby hasn't moved down, i havent effaced nor dialted....this is my second child and im miserable, so i decided to take castor oil....has anyone taken that before? is it a good chance that since i havent progressed i will have to have a c-section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You have a week to go. It's not reasonable to try to induce yourself at home. You will probably get really nasty poops from that. There is no need to rush to have surgery when you aren't even at your due date. Is this a troll post?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:12 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Your pregnancy can last up to 42 weeks before a doctor will induce you or schedule a c-section. Ingesting Castor Oil can be dangerous due to dehydration, and the cramping and possible diarrhea can be REALLY "uncomfortable"--especially during labor! :o)

What has your doctor said? Have you asked him/her about possible scenarios?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:13 PM on May. 3, 2010

• honestly this probably wnt help u at all if u havent dilated or effaced at all.. ur cervix has to be ripe. i took castor oil and seriously nothing happened and im 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced.. so idk maybe it works differently for everyone
    Anonymous

• you are only 39 weeks. i wasn't dilated or effaced at all at my 40 weeks appointment and then my son was born at 41 weeks, after about 8 hours of labor. there is no reason at this point to think you will have a c-section. one thing that would increase your chances of having a c-section would be to get induced so just hold on a few more weeks. you aren't even late for THREE more weeks. good luck :)
    Anonymous

• yes he said he will only induce me 5 days after my due date. and no i don't want to have a c-section. I was asking since my baby hasn't dropped, i haven't effaced nor dialted will my chances of having a c-section will be high?
    Anonymous

• Also i never noticed my baby dropping.

what you are describing is 100% normal for 39 weeks (or 40 weeks or 41 weeks). and nothing that indicates that you will need a c-section. you need to trust in your body and just relax :)
    Anonymous

again, if you don't want a c-section, don't get induced. it increases your chances of having a c-section. just let things happen naturally, and they will.
    Anonymous

• Second time moms' babies usually stay high in the pelvis until labor starts. That's normal.

Second time moms also tend to dilate before they efface. So don't expect much effacement before labor begins.

Lastly, you can be 0 cm, 0% and baby at a -5 station right now, and have that baby tonight. No need to rush things. Do continue a normal routine, walking, eating healthy, and sex, if it's comfortable for you, can help ripen your cervix :)

Good luck, mamma! Have patience.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:23 PM on May. 3, 2010

• chances are you'll be running from both ends for a day or so.

slow down...yeah you're miserable but if you get dehydrated from the castor oil you'll be in worse shape.

Anonymous

• If there isn't anything wrong with your pregnancy, then it doesn't make sense to be talking c-section. You will progress when the baby is ready. You're not even full term for another week.

Inductions usually lead to c-sections these days. Unless your baby is in some sort of distress or your blood pressure is high, I would just let this baby come when he/she is ready. You will have a much more pleasant labor that way.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:37 PM on May. 3, 2010