do u think one glass of wine will hurt me when i am 7m prego ?

i want to go out with some friends and i am the only one that will be prego, they will all get one or 2 glasses of wine at dinner !!! do u think i can get one glass ? and if so do u think people will look at me like i am a bad person for it ?

dev091281

Asked by dev091281 at 5:26 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you have to ask, then your heart isn't in it. If you're having doubts, don't do it and regret it and beat yourself up over it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:29 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Why take the chance? It's not gonna kill you to sacrifice an unnecessary pleasure for your baby. You already know you shouldn't have it or else you wouldn't be worried about appearing to be a bad person. You might as well get used to putting your child first. Sheesh, if you can't fore go something as lame as a drink for the safety of your baby, how in the world are you gonna make the right choices with bigger things??
    Anonymous

• You will get looks. People even give looks these days if a pregnant woman has a soda.

Women in Europe drink a glass of wine occasionally while pregnant, but their 1 glass is maybe 6 oz where as the American 1 glass is about 16 to 20 oz.!

I wouldn't do it. In my opinion, 1 silly glass of wine isn't worth any potential harm to my children. I'd save the wine for after you deliver. If your friends don't understand why you don't want to drink while pregnant, then you need new friends.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:32 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Hurt you? No. Hurt the baby? I can't say, no one can say. There is no amount of alcohol that is known to be safe during pregnancy. I don't know what other people will think of you. Based on what I've read in other related questions on here, many people think that an occasional glass of wine is acceptable. I personally do judge and think less of a pregnant woman who consumes alcohol while pregnant. I work with kids with FASD, and maybe one glass of wine at 7m won't cause FASD, but can anyone say with 100% certainty that it will have no effect on the baby? Alcohol does cross the placenta and your baby will get some. Would you give your baby wine after s/he was born? Probably not, so why give it to them before they are born?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:35 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I did have the occasional glass of wine when I was pregnant. Not like every week but once in awhile.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:39 PM on May. 3, 2010

• yes, it's fine. No, it will not permanently damage your child. FAS is seen in ALCOHOLICS, not in women who occasionally have a single glass of wine. If this were true, 2/3 of all kids would be screwed because their moms drank before they knew they were pregnant.

You will get looks, but you'll also get looks for drinking pop, eating shellfish (or fish in general, lunch meats, wearing heels, or any other insane thing you can think of, like reaching over your head... *sigh*

If you want one, go for it, just don't make it a habit. :) Enjoy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:04 PM on May. 3, 2010

• ........ I would not drink any alcohol at all, being pregnant. Just me tho..................
    Anonymous

• You have hopefully went this long without a drink so what is just a little longer? I would not drink. Especially not in public. This is going to be the begining of MANY MANY sacrifices that you will have to make as a Mother. Start by making the first right choice. You will be admired for it, even if no one tells you. Best wishes!
    Anonymous

• I highly DOUBT 2/3 of pregnant woman drink alcohol. I wouldn't do it.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 6:32 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I had an occasional glass of wine when I was prego and my son is perfectly healthy and is very advanced for his age. Just don't do it on a regular basis
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:45 PM on May. 3, 2010