Please tell me this is just a phase..or is it the beginning of the end?

UGH!!!!
10 Year olds. Who would have thought. I don't remember ever being this way when I was 10, do you? Maybe I was and I turned off my ears when I was that age, I don't know. My parents must have survived my preteens, they are still around.Hell, I must have survived my preteens..I'M STILL AROUND.
My child. My 10 year old son.Please ladies tell me this is only a phase. He is driving me insane. His new thing now is to tell me "NO" when I tell him to do something...ANYTHING. He is even trying out this new thing at school. I got a note home from his teacher, he refused to do his work. He told her "NO" and she asked why, he says"Because I don't want to". What the hell is that? Where oh where have I gone wrong?Is this really the beginning of the end?My baby is just gone.In his place, body snatchers have come and took him away and replaced him with this..this...rotten being. HELP. How do I handle this new bahavior?!?!

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 5:55 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• ohhhh so glad to hear that it'snot just mine!! I've got a sd who is 10 a ds who is 9 and ss they are competing on house hold jerk!! lol
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 6:13 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Stand firm! let him know that there will be repercussions if he doesn't listen to you. Such as if he likes to play video games take that away... if he continues to not listen each time make it more drastic. Grounding? Extra chores?
    Anonymous

• I know that I was "bad" when I was 10. I remember some of it pretty well. I didn't get that attitude from my ds until he was close to 12....lol @ the body snatchers...that IS what happens, isn't it????
    As pp said, just stand firm. Figure out what you are going to do or say if he says "xyz" and what to do if he does "123"....head him off at the pass!!!!

Good luck to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:23 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I do believe its almost all 10 year olds...either that..or its the 2000 kids as my friends and I like to call our kids that were born in 2000. I know they are having troubles with thier 10 year olds too. I thought I had a good 3 or 4 more years before I had to deal with this type of attitude,lol. Guess I was wrong!!
    I know what I need to do..take a course or two in reverse psychology, thats what. This kid is playin me like a fiddle..I see it..I just can't stop it. I stand there flabbergasted when he says "NO" when I tell him to do something..even as simple as "Go wash your hands" before dinner! I told him to do that after he and I were walking out in the yard and he tried wiping some white stuff off a leaf...it was freakin BIRD POOP! I told him to wash his hands, we were going in to eat and he said "NO". I was like....whaaaaaaa?? lol. I think either the body snatchers have invaded or the terrible twos are kicking back in.UGH
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:01 PM on May. 3, 2010

• We've been dealing with this behavior with our son since he was about 9 years old. He's almost 12 and he's graduated to having a selfish, unreasonable attitude. As you said, your parents survived you, and with a little luck, and a lot of patience and prayer, you will survive your child too. We survived our daughter and she's 23. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:01 PM on May. 3, 2010

• it is a phase that he is going through.  It should only last about 80 more years. That silly Y chromosome is acting up. We went through  that this year with the grandson and we all united against him and he has to do his school work no matter who he is with on that day.

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:06 PM on May. 3, 2010

• LOL mamak57...only 80 more yearsm huh? Oh nooooooooooooooooo!!!! Sign me up for the Looney Bin NOW! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:24 PM on May. 3, 2010

• let yourself out when he is grown with kids of his own. You would not want to miss the fun of PAYBACK. i know both my girls have kids and it is FUN FUN FUN for me
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:32 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Don't you dare let him get away with this mama! My mom did with my brother and now he's 16 and walking ALL over her. He treats her like CRAP. He destroys the house, does WHATEVER he wants, just leaves if she tells him not to. He's in a huge heap of legal trouble. Don't let him talk back to you! I don't know how but hopefully you're getting some good advice. Stand firm! and GL!
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 11:12 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Isn't it funny how when we as women wanted to be pregnant so badly then loved our sweet little babies then watched them grow and still felt "IN AWE" of everything.......then they hit 10!!!!...then 12!!! and wait...wait....16 then 17....by then your wanting to run for the hills!!

AllI wanted was a baby...happy little kids and a family

Not as picture perfect as the TV shows make it out to be...or when out in public and school functions and families seem so "TOGETHER"...really it is an act....I would love to see those picture perfect families behind closed doors

Don't worry it will get better when he is in his 20's
    Anonymous