Something different......

Lately we hear a lot of cities wanting to ban things like sugar, salt and trans fats. The government is doing this to some degree in the new health care law.

Cocaine was made illegal because it was bad for you, unhealthy and lead to addiction.

So why isn't smoking or at the very least the nicotine in cigs illegal? Can't be the constitutionality of banning it. Isn't it very hypocritical for our government to want to ban all these other things but not deadly nicotine?
Of course I know why they don't ban this addictive and deadly drug. They get to much money from these companies and they don't want to lose it. What are your thoughts on banning smoking or nicotine?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 6:37 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i think they should of made it illegal a long time ago. then i wouldnt be killing myself $8 a pack every day struggling to quit.
    however, if they try and make it illegal now, it would just cause an uproar. i would bet there would be riots and all kinds of madness. people are just too addicted.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:43 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Tobacco founded this country.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:46 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Its called the Tobacco lobby. They have more money than God.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:47 PM on May. 3, 2010

• "i would bet there would be riots and all kinds of madness. people are just too addicted."

Absolutely!! I am certain that people will go nuts! It wouldn't be pretty!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:48 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Big Business at work again-the Tobacco Industry.

Wonder if they have researched other uses for the crop? How extensively?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:06 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Im just sick of bans. We are turning into a communist country and we are allowing it!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:06 PM on May. 3, 2010

• im a smoker :( i would not be to happy about a ban. even tho i know i need to quit..i like to smoke...i do however go long period of time without smoking each day because i dont smoke around my kids....but a ban...iduno...i smoke the most when i am upset or stressed.....for some reason it soothes me.....i duno...but i am all for all the bans of smoking in public places....
    Anonymous

• It's called the government has no power to regulate my life that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:30 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I doubt that will happen until the last of the domestic tobacco farms are gone. They've been paying them off for 10 years to switch out their crops to something else, and those checks stop this year. Most likely the ones who can't make it will start selling off their farm land to developers. Eventually it won't be worth the expense for anyone to farm it here - and then watch them stick in a ban, when they can't argue anymore that it's killing the poor farmers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:46 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Tobacco doesn't mess with your mind the way cocaine does. Besides, you haven't seen a bitch until you try to take away my ONE vice. I don't drink, I don't do drugs (pot, coke, ya know, the mind-f**king ones), I spend LESS then $25/week for both hubby and myself to smoke. That is the only BAD thing I do, so you all can just leave me alone in my house, since that is the only place left where I CAN smoke, and let me smoke all I want to.
    Anonymous