speaking of pacifiers, engorgement question

my ebf baby took a pacifier for the first time this weekend when we had to go on a roadtrip. i became insanely engorged during that time, i had been letting her sucking needs be met at the breast.

so my question is, am i over producing milk that way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are engorged you can hand express for comfort and use only one breast a feeding. After the first 6-8 weeks the baby should make the amount of milk the baby needs. If you are making a lot of milk the baby may be going through a growth spurt and needing more milk.

Pacifiers can cause all kinds of consequences whenever introduced, the worst is weaning. They are associated with decreased milk supply, sore nipples, return of fertility, and other problems. I can see why a pacifier could be usefiul on a trip in a car seat but it lead to so many problems I never used one. Breastfeeding was too important.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:07 PM on May. 3, 2010

• for once I have to agree with Gaill.

You will not over produce from being used as a pacifier, their suckling changes when they are nursing for comfort and does not draw milk. And the use of one can calm a baby who is actually hungry, and cause weight problems as well. Honestly, I would forgo the use of one. They do not have any "Good" benefits, outside of being a mute button.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:17 PM on May. 3, 2010

• thanks, i used t just now because she was latching, sucking for a second then unlatching,painfully, and fussing, i figured the milk was making her mad and she just wanted to suck. she fell right asleep with a paci
    Anonymous

• If she is getting frustrated, wanting to suck for comfort but getting more milk then she wants you may have an bit of an oversupply. Also, the fact that you got engorged so quickly suggests you may as well. Take a look here and see if you have any of the other symptoms of oversupply (most moms don't realize they have too much milk, I know I didn't for a long time, I thought that was how I was supposed to feel!) Oversupply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:25 PM on May. 3, 2010