Car seat cost questions

Does more expensive ALWAYS mean safer? I hear about people who just have to buy the $300+ car seats, but aren't the ones that cost less just as safe? Do people assume that if they cost more, they are safer? Are my children unsafe because I use less expensive car seats? Should I be buying the most expensive car seats to keep my kids safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Shopping

• my green and brown graco travel system cost 304 with taxes. the car seat holds up to 35 lbs, which basically means my kid will be about 3 or so before ill have to toss or replace it. better if she always has a rear facing car seat until she is ready for a booster or regular seat. it has a patch on it that says side impact tested. nice to know although im a much more cautious driver with kids or elderly in the car so i really doubt she'll ever experience a car crash so long as im around.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 7:32 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I look for safety ratings, comfort and other features I'm looking for. I make sure to check several different sites to check ratings, including consumer reports. I ask other parents what they use and I check with a car seat specialist. They don't sell $300+ car seats in my town, so I don't even know what one looks like. I'd say do your research. The higher cost does not always mean higher quality. Sometimes it means you are paying for a label...popularity...and once grape juice gets spilled on it, is the label that important? :)
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 7:48 PM on May. 3, 2010

• the one I got was like $200 but it goes to like 70 pounds so should be the last one she needs. I picked it because it was rated very safe, easy to clean and adjust and looks comfy for her. I know Britax is really safe but I can't aford them! I research all the ones we ever have bought.
    Anonymous

• no, more expensive does not mean a better seat.

in the ratings many of the less expensive are as good as the pricey ones.

look for safety ratings, how YOUR child fits in the seat - test drive it in the store! plunk the kid in and see how easy or hard it is to buckle and unbuckle.

how wide is your vehicle? will you need more than one seat in the future? plan on how 2 seats will fit in your vehicle - many are narrow or have removable base.

how easy is it to take apart and clean?

Anonymous

• Every carseat meets the safety standards set by the safety administration. No carseat sold on the market is any less safe then the one next to it. People who buy more expensive brand carseats may think that they're buying a safer product, but really you're just paying for the brand name and extra asseccories. You're not actually getting a safer product, because every product cheap or otherwise meets the standards set by the safety administration.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:23 PM on May. 19, 2010