Am I wrong? Does this make me a bad mom?

My 2.5 year old has issues with eating. It is 7:30pm right now...her bed time is 8:30. She has only eaten a bowl of cereal today...other than that...NOTHING. She even turned down Burger King nuggets!!! She hasn't had anything to drink today either...I made waffles and cut up some fruit and put it on her plate. I put some syrup on, just a little...and she started eating. I asked her to try her fruit, she did, and didn't like it...so I took it off her plate and said she didn't have to eat it. She then completely STOPPED eating. I even put some chocolate syrup on it. She still refused to eat it. So we put her in her highchair and told her she's not getting up, or getting anything else until she eats, and if she doesn't she's going to bed hungry. She's just sitting there pouting. Am I in the wrong? This child NEVER eats.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how many pounds does she weigh?
    Anonymous

• Sorry to say this never gets easier- I still have the same issues with my 8 year old
    Anonymous

• That is really silly. You can't make a child eat, and you shouldn't try. She will eat when she's hungty. Perhaps she is not feeling well..it's normal for sick children to not have much of an appetite. You did all you could to tantalize her palate. Time to give up and put her to bed.
    Anonymous

• some 2 years old don't eat alot. I understand needing her to eat and trying foods but don't make her sit there for an extended amt of time. Thats not healthy in my opinion but what I do is no junk just healthy snacks and if they can eat then maybe a treat here and there. Tonight I think my 2 yr old is the only one that ate so the 5 and 6 yr old get no snacks!
    Anonymous

• My 3 yearold does this.I know what her fave foods are and she wont eat them sometimes. Sprinkles work wonders :) My daughter went DAYS without eating.So that whole they will eat when they are hungry is CRAP lol.i really havent had to sprinkle anything again lol.It was just to make it look pretty.Im happy she loves apples and ravioli and can live off of sandwiches now.I was so excited you have NO IDEA lol.
    Anonymous

• You are being mean. She will not starve herself, and now you are being punitive and controling over something only the child should have control over, her body. Please dont punish her for something like this, it will just be a downward spiral until she never wants to eat at the table or in your presence because of the deal you are making about it. And she could be sick too.
    Anonymous

• I applaud you for your efforts. I have made my kids sit at the table too but it hasn't been terribly effective. They will eat when they are hungry but I can understand your concern. A bowl of cereal isn't enough. Is this a regular thing? Could she be coming down with a cold? Honestly, I'd consult with the ped. and explain just how bad it is and the things you've tried. Good luck. No you're not a bad mom!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:42 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I have one of my 3 that goes through 'hunger strikes" as my ex referred to them. She simply wouldn't eat. Catering to her only made it worse.

Rules here are simple, they apply to everyone, regardless of age.

1) What I cook for you is what is available to eat. If you do not, that is your decision, but it will be served to you as your next meal.
    2) If I make something new, and you refuse to try it, it will be your next meal. If you eat 3 bites and STILL don't like it, you do not have to eat any more.

When kids are hungry, they WILL eat. My 9 year old is almost 4'7 and weighs a grand total of 59 lbs!!! she has gained 2 lbs in the last year... That's just how she is. Healthy as a horse, just very slight.
    If you put syrup and crap all over her foods, you're setting her up to be a bad eater. Next time, try serving the fruit first, and nothing else on the plate. Some kids have issues when there is too much to choose from.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:44 PM on May. 3, 2010

• "My daughter went DAYS without eating.So that whole they will eat when they are hungry is CRAP lol"

So...what you are saying is: after a few days, SHE ate. That means SHE ATE WHEN SHE WAS HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Don't worry about it! My first daughter was so picky and sometimes barely ate and I worried about her constantly. But you know what eventually they will eat, I started to notice sometimes she would eat next to nothing then other days she would eat all day so I think it got evened out. Give her a vitamin daily to give you some peace of mind!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 7:49 PM on May. 3, 2010