what kinds of disiplines do you use? Do they work? How old are your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• My boys are 7,6 and 4. With the 7 and 6 yr old we take things away and they write. Why did I exhibit this behavior? What should I have done? Do I understand why I am being punished? Thing of that nature. My 4 year old gets thing taken away as well as time out. He HATES being singled out and not being able to participate so time out helps straighten him out a bit. DD isay to young for any of these methods. To say I dont yell every now an then would make me a liar. I do. Parenting techniques will work different with each child and each parent, IMO. Taking things away has proved to work well with my boys. But to each her own.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:53 PM on May. 3, 2010

• you need to discipline yourself. that is why your kids don't listen, because of the way you behave with them. Read Screamfree parenting, that will teach you.
    Anonymous

• I use authoritative parenting. Psychologists have known for years that authoritative parenting is the most effective form of parenting and that authoritarian parenting based on punishments like hitting (tapping, popping, and any other cute code words), time-outs, taking things away, ect. doesn't work. It doesn't stop bad behavior and it doesn't teach good behavior. Kids behave worse, sneak, lie, and resent parents.

Yes, authoritarian parenting worked great for me. I was the single mother of 3 sons; 30, 27, and 21 and a grandson 18 mo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:43 PM on May. 3, 2010

• cont.

We made it through the teen years with no problems. We homeschooled and all 3 started working at a young age. All have gone to college. The youngest has been able to buy his own home when he was only 21 because he had a good work record and credit.

I like books by Elizabeth Crary for young children. How to Talk so Kids Will Listen is good for older kids. I use logical consequences and respond quickly to problem behavior (no counting to 3). 

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:49 PM on May. 3, 2010

I didn't even say that the ones I use don't work I was just simply asking
    Anonymous

• I made a mistake. When I said authoritarian parenting worked for me, I meant authoritative. Authoritrian is the punishment based parenting that doesn't work like taking things away.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:20 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Spanking. You be bad, you get hurt.

Works for us.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:01 AM on May. 5, 2010

• OP HERE: Spanking doesn't work for my kids. And how can you look at it that way? If they are bad thwy get hurt?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on May. 5, 2010