do you use rewards? Do they work? How old are your kids? What are the rewards you give your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son works for "technology time"- His rewards are time on the computer or tv or video games, up to 1/2 hr a night.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:37 PM on May. 3, 2010

• yes, they get food if they behave. dinner, lunch, breakfast.
    Anonymous

• lol anon. those are good rewards..who doesnt want to eat? lol
    For my "preteen" pfft...the booger..he is SO on my crap list today,lol.
    Anyway...he's 10 and very difficult. I have to change plans for his reward/consequence "game" at least every 2 months or he becomes bored of it and it stops working.
    The most recent one is this: he has 2 buckets.1 bucket is the "special ticket bucket"~which is filled with slips of paper with all kinds of special treats he and I came up with..like an extra$5 in his allowance,or a friend gets to spend the night,extra hour of video games or tv..etc.The other bucket is "extra chore bucket"..thats one of his consequences. If he doesnt complete a chore, he has to pull an extra chore from the bucket. He earns $1 for each chore that he completes and he gets paid every 2 weeks.

Anyway...it WAS working very well but now he's in this "NO" stage so the idea is not working so well.Time for a change.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:43 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My kids are 10 and 4 (5 tomorrow♥) and they don't necessarily get "rewards" for normal stuff. I don't bribe my children to behave. They behave or face the wrath of mommy and daddy. When they get awards at school they get to choose a reward like ice cream or choosing where to go eat dinner. They have chores, but don't earn an allowance. It's just part of being in a family.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:02 AM on May. 4, 2010