Why are they free?

DETROIT – Nine members of a Michigan militia will be released from jail pending trial after a federal judge on Monday harshly criticized the government's claim they had conspired to overthrow the U.S. government.

The decision is a significant defeat for federal authorities, who spoke in tough and triumphant terms after arresting members of a southern Michigan group called the Hutaree in March and charging them with conspiracy to commit sedition and attempted use of weapons of mass destruction.

The government "need not wait until people are killed before it arrests conspirators," U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts said. "But the defendants are also correct: Their right to engage in hate-filled, venomous speech is a right that deserves First Amendment protection."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100503/ap_on_re_us/us_fbi_raids_militia

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:58 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I wondered the same thing when I saw that on the news channel...makes no sense to me do we really need these guys free!
    Anonymous

• Don;t you just hate when liberalism backfires?! You can probably thank the ACLU for providing them with a lawyer to obtain their freedom.

Funny how freedom of speech, can have so many interpretations!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:06 PM on May. 3, 2010

• For the same reason Jeremiah Wright is free. Funny how those amendments apply to everyone, even the people who don't like them much.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:16 PM on May. 3, 2010

If there is enough to CHARGE them with the SERIOUS charges they are being charged with,...NO BAIL shoul;d have been set. If ONE of their names was HASAN they would NEVER see the light of day..Your DUMBASS statement aboyt the LIBERAL machine makes me realize how little you use your critical thinking and rely on FOX to tell you what a LIB is...No LIB I know is SOFT on crime,...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:29 PM on May. 3, 2010

• The same reason why the Black Panthers are Free
    Anonymous

• Because the inept Obama justice dept jumped the gun.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:44 PM on May. 3, 2010

• So they had enough to arrest them, but they don't have enough to prosecute them? I guess they didn't really do anything illegal then?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:44 PM on May. 3, 2010

• No LIB I know is SOFT on crime

Other than when the criminal is ILLEGAL.
    Anonymous

• No LIB I know is SOFT on crime

True!  She is a softy for illegals!

Anonymous

They weren't trying to overthrow the gov. In fact they broke no laws ...They were told to leave and they did..they were just A HOLES

as for the illegals comments..how dumb, I am for teh RIGHTS of OUR citizens and that included MANY hispanics that shouldn't LOSE their RIGHTS because SOME come here illegally

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:01 PM on May. 3, 2010