Real estate law advice please...

anyone knowledgable on real estate law I need your help....The house that we got 2 years ago is not in code. Our electrical is so bad and not in code that we are basically living in a match box. I'm fearful everyday, but I am not sure what we can do. I believe he bought this in a sheriff sale. There is no way it passed any kind of inspection. We are basically paying the interest for 7 years in which we will then have to get a mortgage. At that point we will be screwed with the fix up to get it inspected. The contract says that we are responsible for anything after we paid the down payment, but there is no way we should be resposible for this. He knowingly let a family move into a place that is unlivable. What could we do at this point?

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 8:09 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• The law is different in each state. I own properties in GA. Here, the person/company who does the inspection is legally responsible if they miss something not to code and are required to carry special insurance to cover the repair cost.

Contact your county or city building inspection commission. They can most likely give you info on home warranties in your area and laws about home inspection and how buildings acquire a certificate of occupancy.

Careful what you tell the city. You don't want your house condemned.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:52 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Hmm you may want a lawyer for your protection, Its most times like this when people wish they had a lawyer to work on thier behalf, so sad they think its not affordable :0(

What else can happen in your life that you would need a lawyer? I bet you have your will drawn up right? WHos knows when an accident might leave your children with your bills and this house of yours huh?

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:36 AM on May. 4, 2010

• You should have had an inspection before committing to the house.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:57 PM on May. 4, 2010