fever in my 4 mth old

my 4 mth old dd has had a rectal temp of 101.5 since 1pm this afternoon....i gave her a dose of tylenol at 1 and again at 5 ....ive taken it a few times between doses and ut doesnt go down it stays in the range of 101.2 and 101.6....i know its not an extremly high rectal temp and shes prob just teething but im a first time mom and im just asking if its ok since it doesnt go down with the med....i called her doc but no one anwsred...what should i do?? just keep monitering it??

maddie12284

Asked by maddie12284 at 8:26 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call again. 101.5 they might want to see her, it might be teething but could also be an infection or tummy virus or something.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:46 PM on May. 3, 2010

• that's not much of a fever, i would stop using tylenol unless it gets higher. there are tons of 24 hour nurse hotlines, google it
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:46 PM on May. 3, 2010

• You don't ever need to take rectal temps. It can be dangerous and under the arm is just fine. I never let anyone EVER take any on my children's temp rectally after a baby died at the hospital I worked at because of damage done from having a rectal temp taken. Three kids with complicated medical problems and I all I had to do was ask and they never had rectal temps taken.

Tylenol is hard on anyone's liver. A baby's liver is not able to process meds well and dangerous meds like Tylenol should be saved for when they are really needed. The body increases it's temp for a reason, to make it harder for microbes to multiply. If tylenol brings down the temp then microbes are at ideal temp to multiply.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:47 PM on May. 3, 2010

• That is not a very high temp at all. Don't give Tylenol unless she is absolutely miserable, can't sleep etc.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:54 PM on May. 3, 2010

• well what the pediatricians will tell you is that even if your child IS teething, that is no reason for them to have a fever. Fevers are related to some type of infection or bacteria.. you need to take your child to a doctor because chances are that she has or is developing an ear infection. That is what is most common in infants... however you won't know what it is until you take her to the doctor, and if it is that then they will prescribe her some antibiotics.. most likely amoxicillin
    Laura2012

Answer by Laura2012 at 11:15 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I usually call or see the doctor once my kids have fever over 24 hrs. That's just me though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:46 AM on May. 4, 2010

• omg wahteer to one op... rectal temp is the most accurate way if done correctly anyways normal rectal temp is 99.6 so your baby isn't running a high fever i'd skip the tylenol and try motrin not just for the low fever but to help with the pain of teething
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:24 AM on May. 4, 2010