what kind of snacks can I feed to my 5 year and 2.5 year? I want healthy snacks. My side of the family is pretty skinny, but DH side is heavy so my worst fears is that my kids are going to be overweight.

although I don't know if how much they way now will determine how much they weigh when they are older or not. My youngest just went to the doctor 4/28 and she is 34 inches tall and 27 pounds. She is still in sides between 18 months and 24 months or some 2T. My oldest is 42 inches tall and 38 pounds they said was really good on the charts, but still afraid of when she gets older so I am looking for some healthy snacks I can buy for my kids

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I like to keep a fruit salad made up in the fridge. It doesnt have to be anything fancy. I buy whatever fruit is on sale. I cut up the fruit in pretty small size chucks and I cut a lemon in half and squeeze it on the cut up fruit and mix up. It usually keeps good in the fridge for about 3 days. The kids like when I put some in a bowl for them and mix it up with lowfat vanilla yogurt. A very yummy treat..and I like to eat it too.
    ~Peanut butter sandwhich on wheat
    ~Chunks of cheese and crackers
    ~raisins
    ~cottage cheese and pineapple (oldest likes it but only when I put the pineapple on the side..not on top ma,lol)

~baby carrots or celery sticks and low fat ranch dressing
    ~pretzal sticks
    ~cheese fishy crackers (pepperidge farm)
    ~fresh fruit
    ~toast with marmalaide
    ~fruit smoothies...fozen fruit,yogurt,oranje juice in blender
    ~healthy popsicles(yes,there is such a thing,just hafta look for them,lol)
    ~healthy ce
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:44 PM on May. 3, 2010

• fruits
    vegetables
    homemade granola bars
    cheese
    crackers
    plain popcorn is ok
    nuts

avoid anything white - sugar, bread, cookies, soda crackers (there are wheat versions that are much healthier), anything man made - avoid.

drink white milk - no chocolate or strawberry - the sugar in it is comparable to a can of soda.

real juice - no fruit "drinks"

if sugar is in the first 4 ingredients - walk away.
    Anonymous

• My kids eat a lot of fresh fruit, yogurt, and cheese. It's all easy stuff and good for them!

Answer by missanc at 8:38 PM on May. 3, 2010

• cereal..thats what the last word was supposed to be, it cut me off,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:46 PM on May. 3, 2010

• We do apple slices and other fruits (blueberries, grapes, melon, etc), carrot sticks, raisins, whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese and crackers, sweet potato fries with cinnamon on them, etc.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:13 PM on May. 3, 2010

• you know, these foods are good for you and your dh too! it is best, i think if you set the example for them :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:38 PM on May. 3, 2010