Trip to Washington, DC for a 6 year old?

My soon to be kindergartener will be learning about the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, and the White House during the school year. I thought about taking him on a trip to Washington, D.C. during fall break (October) and visiting these places. He will be 6. Do you think this would be a good idea or should I wait a few more years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Travel

• Go. It is so nice. Very well organized with so many free museums that are kid friendly, not the boring kind. My son loved it. Especially the air musuem and the changing of the guard.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 1:14 AM on May. 6, 2010

• If you can afford it and you think he would be interested, then go for it. My daughter is almost 7 and she would probably enjoy going on a trip and staying in a hotel and stuff, but she probably wouldn't really care at all about the reason for going there until she's older. But that's just my kid though.
    Anonymous

• I have been 20 times or more. I can tell you, there is a lot of walking between the monuments! LOTS ;)

I know my 6 year old would get board and would get "tired leg" syndrome.

I just dont think they get exactly why these things are suppose to be interesting.

But all kids are different, some might like it. Especially the Smithsonians', the natural history one is the best! Especially for kids.

Also, dont dare drive into D.C. its a pain in the rear, try parking in Maryland and taking the Metro in, its need to ride the rails if you are from a small town too ;) Kids would most defiantly like that part! Get online to find out the train stops closest in. Search Washington D.C. Metro stops...see what you get.

Good Luck!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:29 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My son would have loved it at that age...but, he also loved "Hamlet" in stage in the Shakespearian language too. He has always been a little eccentric....LOL He got to go in 6th grade and loved it.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:43 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I'd go. My parents took us at the ages of 9, 6, and 3. We all enjoyed our time there.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:53 PM on May. 7, 2010