Do you think americans constantly being called racist are desensitizing the real meaning of the word?

Is the word racist being overused? It's been used for those who opposed:
Healthcare Bill
Bailouts
lumped together by liberals who spoke about tea party
Thrown at anyone who is against Obama Administration politics
And now those who want less Illegal Aliens and more legal ones.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yada, Yada, Yada- That's exactly what I think about this topic at this point in time.
    Anonymous

• LA DI DA DI DAY..iM WITH YOU ANON
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 9:30 PM on May. 3, 2010

• No RACISTs are SHOWING THEMSELVES more and more.. a WHITE SUPREMIST group will be protesting on MAYDAY..how special

Some IGNORANT soul on HERE just compared Al Sharpton to the men accused of forming a MILITIA and making plans to MURDER COPS and GOVERNMENT officials....sick and RACIST

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:34 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Racists are part of all of those groups. So no its not overused at all.
    Anonymous

• Al Sharpton is a racist.
    Anonymous

• There are genuine racists out there; which of course is a problem.

But yes, the term is also being lightly thrown around, which I do believe does make it lose the potency it should have.
    Anonymous

• For years we have begged for border enforcement from the federal government. It has been estimated that illegal immigration costs the taxpayers of Arizona $2 billion in increased education, medical and legal costs per year. Jobs - and not those Americans supposedly won't do - are taken, education has been compromised, and not a week goes by without reports of hundreds of pounds of drugs being found in the possession of, and crimes being committed by, illegal immigrants.

The vast majority of people who favor this bill are not racist. We are everyday folks who can no longer afford to pay the price of illegal immigration. Many Hispanics also favor the bill. Note that the bill targets illegal immigration, not a certain group, and is not anti-immigration. There are people out there trying to make it about race, but they have no idea what is going on in AZ.
    --Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous

• I'm tired of everything being racist. If you don't like someone you're automatically racist.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 9:49 PM on May. 3, 2010

• So, I'm ignorant, am I sweet???? How nice, coming from you, I consider that a compliment! {{{hug}}}

Yes, OP, the race card being thrown up at everything is really taking the meaning away from it. I really could care less what color people are. I am way more concerned about how they think, what their morals & values are, you know, their CHARACTER above all else.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:54 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Yes I think the word racist is so ridiculously used now that being called a racist means nothing anymore. I've been called racist because I don't like Obama! Its like the term child abuse. Someone cries child abuse if you raise your voice at your kids. So now those poor kids out there who are actually victims of abuse, seem so much less important because kids that get yelled at are now also victims of child abuse. How stupid. When you cry racism at every freaking thing, no one is going to take you seriously or care when there is an actual case of racism.
    Anonymous