Was my mother out of line for this?

Since she's lost her unemployment benifets, my mother has been asking me to take her grocery shopping and pay the bill. Well today, she did not mention that she didn't have any money at all. When she got to check out she said, "Aren't you gonna pay for this?" I was confused but didn't want to say no. I looked at the bill and it was $79! My grocery don't go that high for me and three people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• In my opinion I think she was out of line for automatically assuming that you would pay for it. That is pretty damn rude. But I will say that if I had the extra money and the chance to help my mother out if she was in need then I would do it in a heartbeat, because she has done so much for me throughout my life. But if it got to the point where she expected it ALL the time, then i'd definitely have a talk with her about it.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:46 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Sounds like she is expecting too much out of you. Does she not have any shame for asking for you to pay? Is she looking for another job? If no, then I would have a HUGE problem with this!
    Anonymous

• omg yes
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:47 PM on May. 3, 2010

• umm I would tell her NO! If she cant afford groceries then she should try food stamps. Taking advantage of you isnt right. If my mom needs help now or then or I feel like being nice I will pay but not all the time!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:47 PM on May. 3, 2010

• for assuming you would foot the bill, yes. she needed to have told you at least that she couldnt pay and she should have kept the bill low... try PBand bread and some canned fruits and veggies and maybe some ground meat... basic stuff!

i wanna know how you feed your family on less than $79 though!! is that per week? i could see weekly... we spend about that if you go weekly. WOW!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:09 PM on May. 3, 2010

• uh yeah she was rude. guess next time she asks you to take her, she means and pay for it. so then you can help her by saying what she can and can't get. or just show up with some groceries for her that you chose. is she on food stamps? she may qualify.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:19 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Her attitude is inconsiderate and rude for sure.

Why did she lose her unemployment benefits? Is she not able to work and support herself?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:30 PM on May. 3, 2010

• heck yea she was asking to much! My mom tries to ask for money all the time, but I tell her no. Cuz i'm Broke
    Anonymous

• She should have asked first, no question. Do you have the funds? You need to sit down and have a nice talk about how you can't be paying all the time. Does she have someone else who can help out? Does she feel like you owe it to her since she raised you or something? It wasn't very nice.
    Anonymous

• You should ask her before her next trip to the grocery if she needs a ride to get food stamps, Im sure they will give them to her, we even had to get them a couple of mo. ago, even with unemployment. Good Luck
    Anonymous