Potty training methods?

What did you do to potty train your LO. My dd is 22 months and my goal is by the time she is 26 months to have her fully trained, at least during the day. She gets most of it and is really into going on the potty but she doesnt actually go anymore. She will tell me pee-pee or poopy but then she will just fart or sit on it. She loves her big girl undies but still goes in them no matter how many times I put her on the potty. She seems ready but I'm clueless. How did you get your LO to train and how old were they? Am I trying to early?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:45 PM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• The current Mothering Magazine issue is all about potty training. You can find it at bookstores or health food grocery stores.

It's best is children give up diapers when they are ready, not when the parent sets a goal. Some children are 4 before thay are out of diapers. If you try to "train" too soon there can be many problems. One of the worst is anal fistulas. The child holds poop in for days and gets constipated. This goes on for weeks and there gets to be impacted poop in the bowel. It's horribly painful and a dangerous condition. There are moms on cm all the time with toddlers with poop holding problems from early potty training.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:53 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I waited until i knew my son had shown all the signs of readiness. I took one week and went nowhere. We picked out big kid undies and bought a potty. I told him that he was a big boy and big boys use the potty and not a diaper. I took away diapers and put him in underwear. The first morning, I took the diaper off and told him we wouldn't be using baby diapers anymore, he was going to learn how to use the potty. I took him to the potty and had him sit and try. No longer than a few minutes. Then I sent him to play. Fifteen minutes later, I told him we needed to go try again...when I saw that he had this down and was trying, I made it every 30 mintues. I kept that up all day, increasing by 15 minutes. At some point, he did have an accident, we just changed into new undies. Soon, he went for the first time and I made a big deal and praised him. He was excited. After 2 days of this, he started to understand and ran on his own..CONT
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:53 PM on May. 3, 2010

• to the potty. He had an accident or two at night, but by day three, he stopped pretty much..... I made sure he stopped drinking an hour before bedtime and made him go before he laid down. He was 2.5
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:54 PM on May. 3, 2010

• The signs are:

Can tell you they need to go(they won't at first, but, the ability helps)
    Can pull their pants up and down(again, won't at first, but, the ability helps)
    Can stay dry through naptime(at least 2 hours)
    Are not afraid of the potty.
    Show at least some interest in it.
    Can understand what poop and pee and the feeling of wetness is.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:57 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My oldest was about 2 1/2 when she trained and my youngest is 31 months and just started the other day and is doing really well so far. A big thing with my kids has been that if they can pull their pants down and up by themselves, then they are really ready. Otherwise, to me, it is the mom who is trained to get the kid on the potty, not the kid that is trained to get themselves on the potty and that is a big difference to me.
    Anonymous

• OP: I'm pretty sure she is ready to potty train. She doesnt want to wear diapers and always tells me when she poops or pees but not quite intime to get on the potty. I have an 8 month old too so I cant neccesarily drop everything right when she says she has to go. She also can have a dry diaper for hours and then pees and soaks the diaper.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:00 PM on May. 3, 2010

• oh and she can pull her pants down and back up.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:01 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Well, she sounds ready...but, you will have to find a way to be able to take her every little bit until she can do it alone. Otherwise, just she will continue to poop and pee in the diaper until she has enough and trains herself, which could very well happen. She might not need training.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Sounds like she's ready to me. Have you tried using a sticker chart where she gets some sort of reward (whether its a toy, a treat, or dong something fun with mom or whatever) at the end of the chart?

I started out with her only needing to get 5 stickers until she got a reward and then 10 stickers and so on until she was having all dry days. Then I switched it over to getting a sticker for having a dry night. I used the train on the train track chart from http://www.childavenue.com/pages/family_corner_pages/printables.html  They have a differnt format than the train one too. Charts work well for some kids.   Good luck! : )

Anonymous

• My girls were 20 months old and potty trained. It wasn't to hard. I took them to the br every 20 minutes first few days then added more time b4 Iwe new it they were potty trained... So is your child to yound NO'
    Anonymous