What should I stock my new kitchen with?

I am finally moving into my own apt and I am using it as an opportunity to start eating healthy. What should I buy since I have nothing? I plan on spending about $100 the first trip and then $50 every week after. It's just me and my 2 year old. I need kid friendly food bc he is used to eating crap. I had no control really. And I don't cook all that well but I'm going to learn!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• produce!!!!!!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:52 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I would start by making a menu so you have an idea what basic ingredients you're going to need, then buy accordingly. Things like spices, including salt & pepper, flour, sugar, oil are all good to have on hand.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:53 PM on May. 3, 2010

• You may have to spend a little more than that to really get started but here's basics:

baking and cooking supplies (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, canola oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and seasoning mixes like Mrs Dash italian, Mrs Dash southwestern if you eat much mexican food, and a good steak seasoning)

Those will let you make most types of quick breads (SUPER easy and cheap), some desserts, and season most anything fairly well.

For the pantry try:

Whole wheat bread (bread can be frozen if you find it on sale)
    Oatmeal
    Rice
    Dried pastas
    Jarred pasta sauces
    Canned Low sodium soups
    Canned low sodium beans
    Canned fat free refried beans
    Tortillas

Refrigerated:

Eggs
    Milk
    Cheese (I suggest block, its cheaper)
    Jelly
    butter or margarine
    lunch meats
    Yogurts

Meats:

Frozen boneles
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:08 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
    Frozen chicken quarters
    Ground turkey or ground bison (much leaner than ground beef and healthier)
    Pork shoulder roast

Frozen items:

Frozen vegetables (corn, peas, green beans, etc)
    Frozen fruits for smoothies or snacking (berries, peaches, etc)
    Frozen sausage (I like the all natural ones best)
    Frozen pancakes or waffles if you don't have time to make them yourself

Produce:

baking potatoes
    squash (really good if you roast it with maple syrup)
    apples
    bananas
    oranges

Those should give you enough to make quite a few meals, snacks, etc.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:14 PM on May. 3, 2010

• You don't need flour and sugar. Milk, whole grain cereal, eggs, butter, jelly, peanut butter, honey, whole grain crackers.

What you need to do is find a smaller store that has good fruit, veggies, and meat that has great sales. Then start shopping every day or every other day and get what's on sale. Get only a couple days worth of food and you have no waste and save money. I have always done this and we have lived in 5 different cities. 

My son works at the perfect store so it's very easy. Today I got ribs, BBQ sauce, corn on the cob, strawberries , & vanilla yogurt. That will be dinner. I keep milk and whole grain cereal around for breakfast. We cook on the grill a lot.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:18 PM on May. 3, 2010

• You need to start by planning meals and snacks for the next week or two, then buy the ingredients that you need to prepare them.. If you buy items without a plan to use them, they will wind up in the garbage.
    Some of the items that I seem to buy every week are lettuce, lentils, beans, apples, kiwi, frozen blueberries, frozen pineapple, whole grain bread and tortillas, tofu, carrots, hummus, salsa, eggs, cheese . Some basic pantry/refrigerator items for us are: whole wheat pastry flour, brown rice, quinoa, assorted whole wheat pastas, mustard, ketchup, salad dressings, olive oil, sunflower seed oil, ground flax seed

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I stock my kitchen like I said above, and I can make 2 weeks worth of meals with that. I can make cornbread because i have the flour and sugar (which comes in handy for making cookies, cakes, breading meats, making teas and other drinks at home you need sugar for). That's why I say flour and sugar are a necessity. It's cheap and easy to make treats at home, and a lot healthier than buying prepackaged cookies and cornbread mixes. And it only cost about $4 to buy a bag of flour and sugar lol. If you have a local store where you can shop daily and the time to do so, then yes shopping daily for dinners is a good idea. However if you are like me, going to the store daily ends up costing more. I prefer to plan out 2 weeks in advance and get everything I need other than the perishables all at once, and it save me money plus I can use coupons easier that way since I plan it all out.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:16 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Agree with the pps every extra trip to the store adds extra to the food budget.At first you may waste a bit of the fresh fruit and veggies but will quickly learn to buy the correct amount for the week.Here is a little veggie tip for you and as your daughter gets older.I like to serve at least two servings or more of veggies at dinner.Sliced tomatoes and carrots and for my teens a drizzle of homemade Ranch.I almost always serve a cooked veggie in a different color so three colors and three servings easy easy Also agree there is nothing wrong with a treat and homemade is great..Moderation.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:52 PM on May. 4, 2010