Benadryl for a 3 year old?

My son weighs 33lbs and has asthma and I think that with all the wind his allergies are acting up. Has anyone ever given a child this young benadryl? I had a friend recommend giving him some (she has kids with asthma too), I was just wondering if anyone else has used it for a child so young.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i suppose you could, but i wouldn't. Claritin is non drowsy and approved for kids as young as 2. my son has asthma, and we've always used claritin. it calms his allergies almost instantly, without making him sleepy.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:24 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't, there was a recent recall on that stuff. Please call the doctor.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:24 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My grandson has been taking it since he was around 14 mo for eczema. Both his pediatrician and allergist recommended it. Benedryl is one of the meds that in kids can have the opposite reaction than it does in adults and it can make them bounce off the walls. The doctors said that usually happens if you don't give the right dose. It's important to know the right dose and get the right dose down. My grandson is not cooperative (his father wasn't either about meds).

He has eczema head to toes that is open and bleeding. He has several creams and has tried liquid meds and had had allergy tests and made changes. He was just here and miserable with itching.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:36 PM on May. 3, 2010

• there was a recall but if youd had the meds for a while and are still god then u might be good.
    my DD is 2 and i give her 3/4 tspn
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 10:36 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My son has severe allergies, he is almost 2 and the pediatrician told me to give him 1 tsp. She said you can't overdose them on it.
    Anonymous

• yes... mine is 20 months, has allergies like crazy, and i started a few months ago... the doctor said i could give 1 tsp... i do every night before bed otherwise he is just full of gunk in the morning with his allergies (a plus... better sleep! lol... but not the primary reason). ive even given him that tylenol cold for kids, 1 tsp, because he just can't breathe with he gets a cold. hasn't hurt him at all (i based it on the weight on the back that said 48 lbs 2 tsp, my son was 25, so i gave half that.)
    i use store brand benadryl, so the recall doesn't apply.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:41 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Don't without talking to a doctor first. Benadryl is contraindicated with those who have asthma. I will admit to using it on my son but only when he is having an allergic reaction to food and got preapproval from his doctor first. Something else would probably be more effective for seasonal allergies.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:02 PM on May. 4, 2010