Homeschooling question regarding socialization

I don't mean for this to sound argumentative but this is something I've often wondered about. Whenever I come across a homeschooling debate, invariably someone will say that it only takes a few hours to homeschool and therefore their child has the rest of the day for socializing. My question is with who? If the vast majority of other children are at school, who are HS kids socializing with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, my children have never been in daycare and we are starting to homeschool our 4 year old. We belong to two different playgroups that each meet once a week. We do library story time once a week. My 4 year old plays on a baseball and football team and both do gymnastics once a week. They play with the children in our neighborhood (which is full of stay at home moms) and play with several children who are in public school after school. We also belong to a homeschool group that meets once a week. So my children socialize with other children on a daily basis. When they get a little older they will both be joining boy scouts, 4-h, and most likely a archery and rifle team. School is not the only way for socialization.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:53 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I am involved with a lot of homeschoolers and that is very true.... and that actually is a usualy complaint... there are so many activities and opportunities and sometimes you have to really limit your time and pick and choose what to participate in. There are park days, field trips, play dates etc... the list really does go on, especially in an area where there are lots of homeschoolers
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:57 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Just to clarify I'm referring to kids who are school age.
    Anonymous

• Other homeschool kids, other kids after school and on the weekends, kids in their art class, kids on their soccer team etc.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:01 PM on May. 3, 2010

• We have a church group of about 100 kids that get together for art, gym, and drama classes by age group. We go to the library that has many homeschoolers there during the day. We go to classes at the zoo, museum, art museum, nature center and YMCA, we have other classes available through the local recreation department at the public schools at night and on weekends for dance, swimming, cooking, instruments. There are tons of opportunities.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:03 PM on May. 3, 2010

• ok well for school aged children there are recreational sports, karate, homeschool groups, neighborhood children, boy scouts, girl scouts... the list goes on
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 11:03 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I homeschooled my 3 sons, now adults. Why would I want them to be "socialized" by a school?

My kids were involved with kids in our homeschool group, La Leche League friends, multicultural neighbors from our family housing apartment complexes at the universities where I went to grad school, baseball teams, cub scouts, camp fire, 4 H, boy scouts, soccer, gymnastics, many classes they took for kids at the universities we lived at, kickball, tennis classes and teams, golf classes and teams, and manty other activies. I agree that life is very active.

More important they were around people of all ages, like real life should be. They had friends of all ages.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:08 PM on May. 3, 2010

• We participate in a home school co-op, that has about 35 other children. We meet for extracurricular type classes, field trips, and holiday parties and such. Also, most home schooled children have at least one sibling, sometimes many more than one. So, they are not just home alone with their parent all day. My children love playing together, and I hope that this time together while they are young will help build a strong sibling relationship. They also have many other friends that come over to play, sleep overs, really all of the "normal" type socialization that most children experience.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:12 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Actually, when I was in school, I had a teacher tell me that "school is for learning not socializing"
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:15 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I guess I'm just wondering what HS kids do after their lessons and before their extra-curricular activities. Kids who go to school also do extra-curricular activities, so I don't really see how that compares.
    Anonymous