how to "prepare" my 3.5yo for shots?

My DD has not got a shot since she was almost 2.... She will be getting one tomorrow & I know it will go better if i prepare her for it ( talk to her on the way there, or once we are actually in the dr.'s room)..
But I am unsure of what exactly to say to her to comfort her..
Any Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It might be better to not prepare. Explain right before and tell her it may hurt. DON'T use the word pinch. This is something that people giving shots may say. It doesn't pinch and you don't want to confuse her. Sometimes the shot hurt worse after. You might want to take a cool pack along. If you have an ice pack you can put it in the fridge (not freezer) overnight and take it along. up it in a clean baggie. Bring a wash cloth. Ask to make sure it's ok if you use it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:59 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Are you kidding? Wow, one more reason not to vaccinate!
    Anonymous

• To anon. I respect you for not vaccinating. we stopped vaccinating after the 1yr shots... Shortly after she was 2, she spent 1wk in the hospital. For 24hrs we did not know what was wrong with our daughter & we where scared... we where so worried that the lack of a vaccine may have put her there... Because she was lacking shots they ran more test & had to broaden what they were looking for. The guilt & all the other feelings I cannot explain.
    I still dont feel 100% comfortable with vaccinating her with the few she has not had yet, but i also fear of what could happen if i dont vaccinate her....
    I am not a Dr. or have any education in health or anything like that.. There is no way I could possibly make an Educated choice without taking years of college under my belt.. I can only pray I am making the right choice & hope this is what is best for her..
    If i could find an Anti-vax dr. in my area that would help, but i cant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on May. 4, 2010