Kindergarden test

Do you know what is on the test that the kids take before going into kindergarden, she has been homeschooled for preschool

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on May. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Identifying the letters of the alphabet, numbers, shapes, colors. Writing their name. Things like that!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:58 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Just the basics. Some academics like numbers, writing, identifying colors. Some motor skills like holding a pencil correctly and moving around the room. Observation to make sure they're mature enough for school. When I registered my son they gave us information sheets about screening among other things.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:04 PM on May. 3, 2010

• a test?

we didn't have to do any kind of testing when mine went to kindergarten.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:11 PM on May. 3, 2010

• ours wasn't required to do any kind of test either
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on May. 4, 2010

• It depends on what type of school. My daughter's elementary school required reading, knowing the days of the week, seasons, counting up to 100

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on May. 4, 2010

• "My daughter's elementary school required reading, knowing the days of the week, seasons, counting up to 100"

Most schools aren't like that, at least not here in Georgia! These skills listed above are required before 1st grade here.

The kindergarten "Test" is more to see where your child is developmentally then really testing them academically. They will check to see how proficient they are with speech, letter recognition, numbers, ect. Our school actually takes the child into another room while Mom fills out paper work. At first it is kinda made me feel weird, but really they just wanted to see how my son did with someone other-than-mom. One of the other reasons to “test” them is to know where your child should be placed. If they know one group of kids can do all the above, the teacher will be better prepared to teach on their level when school starts.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:22 AM on May. 4, 2010

• here they in the past have not tested for kindergarten (that I am aware of). my SS was tested before entering this year because they used the tests to see who would get into full day kindergarten. they didnt have enough spots in full day for everyone who wanted full day (this is only the 2nd year of full day here). so all the kids took the test. if the kid did poorly or needed the extra help, they were reccommended for full day. a parent could still keep them in 1/2 day if they wanted to. if your child did average or above on the test they were put into a lottery. the first 30 names drawn got full day. the rest were drawn for an order of a waiting list. so that way if a child withdrew before the year started or a parent changed their mind they had a system to pick who had the option of going into full day.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:48 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Never had a test for kindergarten. I've had 3 go through kindergarten in 2 different school (in different states) and the only requirement to get into kindergarten was that they had to be 5 by a certain date.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:25 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Contact the school. They will be more than happy to tell you what your child needs to know. They Love it when parents are proactive in their child's education. Good for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on May. 4, 2010

• it will depend on your district.
    Anonymous