My child says he hates black people, what do I do?

There is NO way he could have gotten this at home. He has said this to me twice now, and I have just had a long talk with him about it. I'm about in tears thinking my 6yr. old could be a racist. I don't know what to do. The truth is, we don't even know anyone who is black.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have you asked him why he feels this way? Sometimes kids hear things at school.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:20 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Did you ask him why or where he got his information? Does anyone you know speak poorly of the president and he is drawing a poor parallel? If there a bully in the classroom? Get him to be very specific and remind him that we are all part of the human race. Try this example: If he is a "red head" ask him how he would feel if his classmates hated red heads.... Start a dialogue that requires more than yes/ no answers.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 11:21 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Are there black students at school?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:22 PM on May. 3, 2010

• he probably head it at school by his friends or by the teacher...
    but explain to him about that.. I'm sue he doesn't really mean it ;[
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 11:24 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I asked him about it, and he said the idea came from his own head. He loves President Obama! I tried this with him: If he is a "red head" ask him how he would feel if his classmates hated red heads.... Start a dialogue that requires more than yes/ no answers. He said different hair/eye color were okay, but not black skin. There are no black children in his class, only 2 in the whole school that I know of.
    Anonymous

• Does he "realize" that Obama is black? Maybe you can spin that, because he does like the president? (I do, too BTW!!)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 11:47 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I think the problem is more the fact that he hates anyone in general, not just that he hates blacks. The hate of another human being regardless of color needs to be addressed, not just the color factor. He shouldn't hate... period.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Children don't always know why they hate something. My husband's little cousin says she doesn't like people of different races too. Her parents or her family never have had anything against any other race. Her mom doesn't know where she got this dislike towards anyone of another race. However, if you really look at it .. Children are seeing everything for the first time. Sometimes they find something they can't explain or they don't understand, so they say they don't like it. Generally it's a harmless dislike, even though it shouldn't be taken lightly. Ignorance is the leading cause in why people, especially children don't like something. In my opinion ..

Open up more of a dialgoue with him more then just "Why don't you like Black people?"
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:32 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Someone must be talking to him that way. Any racist family members that he's been in contact with lately? Video games? Tv programs? Music? It's just too weird that out the blue he says he hates black people.

Expose him to black people if you can. Maybe watch children's cartoons like "Little Bill"...or read him books with black children in them. If you walk by a black person, smile and say hello to them. Maybe you're good example will rub off on him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 4, 2010

• The Southern Poverty Law Center has fantastic resources: http://www.splcenter.org/what-we-do/teaching-tolerance

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on May. 4, 2010