Keeping the "dad" away...

What do you think are good enough reasons to keep a kid's biological father away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• If he's physically, emotionally, or mentally abusive.
    He's a drug addict or alcoholic.
    If he has a history of crime, prison or jail time.
    He's a pedofile.
    Has a bad temper that can turn violent. Even if the violence isn't ever directed towards people.
    He is neglectful towards the child.
    If he hasn't been in the child's life for a period of time. Even if it is an off and on relationship with the child.

There are many reasons. Don't use any of them unless they are lagit and actually pertain to the real stituation. You know this person, we don't, so if you have valid reasons he shouldn't be around then use those.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:23 AM on May. 4, 2010

• He's abusive (physically and/or mentally)
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 11:25 PM on May. 3, 2010

• He's abusive.
    He's a drunk or a druggie.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:28 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I had this issue before I had my daughter...and realized that it wasnt worth the fight. Even though me and him didnt get along, he was a very good dad. I had to give him the chance to prove it. The only reason you shouldnt is if they are abusive in any way...physically, emotionally, and mentally. But I chose to let him be in her life because it wasn't about me...it was about my daughter. Wouldn't you want to have a relationship wtih your dad? It was definitely a tough decision for me. But i was choosing the other way for wrong reasons..think of your baby and how they would feel.
    Anonymous

• Anon 28: Hell no I don't want a relationship with my sperm donor. He is a piece of shit asshole that can't take responsibility for anything he does. It's always someone else's fault. Plus is was abusive.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:32 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I keep my son's father away from his son.. h had 3 chances to be with his son.. and keeps blowing him off.. the last time he wanted to see his son.. I am living at my grandma's house due to finiacial [sp?] reasons.. and he explained where I'm at is on the way home from work, saw him for 2 days.. and nothing after that.. he tries to say he was too busy and I was like.. really??? something's more important than just seeing your son for seconds if not longer.. get out
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 11:33 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Abusive in any way. Addicted to something like alcohol, drugs, sex, porn. Is not a good care taker...the kids are unsafe or get hurt often in his care.
    Anonymous

• If this is a question you're asking for your own child, consider leaving the choice to your child. Don't bring it up until he/she does, and only go to visit when he/she asks and father agrees. That's the best thing my lousy mom could have ever done for me. I never thought about going to see him unless he sent me a card, (which inevitably was from a jail, ever 5 or 6 years, when my grandma would give him a couple bucks to buy one and he would opt not to spend it on cigarettes.

Years later, I hadn't seen my dad in 10 years, and I went to visit him in jail. We had a good talk, but two years after his release, where is he? Back in jail. This is after he met my husband, was at the hospital for the birth of my son, he wasn't even out of jail long enough this time to tell him I was pregnant again.

I've been able to make my own, unbiased opinion regarding my father. And I'm glad my mom didn't MAKE me have a relationship w/ him.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:02 AM on May. 4, 2010