Do you or anyone you know have PMDD?

I am only 21 but for about a year or so I have been feeling like I may have this disorder. I get SOOOOOOO emotional and moody for like 2 weeks before my period starts. AS SOON as I start...I'm back to normal. It's really affecting me though. And the people around me. I get out of control..I get really down in the dumps..It's almost like I feel pregnant again without the physical symptoms of it. It's annoying...and I want it fixed. I am afraid that if I get on any kind of medication that its going to totally change me in a bad way or make me gain weight.

Anyone's help will be much appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I suffered for many years and did not know WTF was wrong with me. Finally I saw a therapist who asked me "why suffer?' now I am on prozac and me ( and my family)are a lot happier! good luck!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:31 PM on May. 3, 2010

• i had the mood swings a long with severe cramping and my dr put me on yaz birtch control even though im tied
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 11:43 PM on May. 3, 2010

• OP here: Birth control is WAY out of the question for me. It makes me go crazy and worse than I am now.

Is prozac for PMDD or is it an anti-depressent? It just sounds familiar. My mom is on anti-depressent...I don't even want to go there even though it might help. I really don't want to gain weight.
    Anonymous

• I just looked up PMDD symptoms..and I definitely think I have it. the past 2 weeks Its been sooooooooo bad. I started my period yesterday and everything subsided by the end of the night. This has been happening for months to a year now. I can't remember the last time I went without being super emotional before my period.

I will discuss this with my doctor. Thanks for the help girls :)
    Anonymous

• I have it and I am 21,and was diagnosed at 19, but I don't take meds for it any more. I still get moody but I have learned to control it. I have a few bad days with it, but have learned how to deal with it.
    ZOLOFT is what my psychiatrist prescribed for me. I already had an IUD and birth control had too many side effects for my liking.
    I got reallllllly irritable 2 weeks before my period (so that's like half the year, not to mention other "random" bad days... so thats like 140 days a year? dang.) I would have RAGE attacks (thought part of that was the adderall I was on... I don't any meds right now, I am under supervision and have done fine for 6 months), depression, anxiety, didn't want to have sex, etc. Pretty messed up. So I talked to my psych and zoloft helped a lot. You CAN learn to manage it, but sometimes meds help you get to a place wher eyou can learn to do that.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:33 AM on May. 4, 2010

• sorry... like 180+ days.... great math, eh?
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:34 AM on May. 4, 2010

• lol it's okay. thank you for the advice though. I am goin to talk to my doctor. I feel like it consumes me. and i want to be a better mom and i cant when i get sooooo mad and irritable. its ridiculous. i know im doing it but idk how to control it. but you're right meds will prlly help me with that and hopefully i wont have to take them forever.
    Anonymous

• There is a low dose prozac (which is an anti-depressant) that is used for PMDD
    Anonymous