And you wonder why kids may be maturing faster?

Today’s broilers (*CHICKENS*) have been bred to reach market weight in six weeks—twice as fast as their 1940s counterparts. This rapid growth rate has brought an increasing incidence of diseases that cause suffering, such as ascites and painful skeletal deformities. To avoid problems of reproduction and lameness associated with obesity, broilers used for breeding are severely feed restricted.

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/behindthewalls.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Free range, certified organic, local farmers...lots of ways to keep from eating the hormonally enhanced meat/chemically treated produce out there without going vegan. To each their own, and information is ALWAYS a good thing, but vegan just isn't going to work for me or mine so...we get educated ;)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:59 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I once worked at a pig farm for 2 weeks, I thought it would be cool. They gave them hormones which I heard is the reason kids bodies are going into puberty faster. It wasn't cool, it was sad but I sure got an education. I would love to say we don't eat meat but we still do.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:42 PM on May. 3, 2010

• don't forget all the hormons added to dairy cows
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on May. 4, 2010

• duh!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on May. 4, 2010

• i thought it was law to have hormone, steroid, and antibiotic free chickens...darn! more things to look into : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:35 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I raise broilers. The birds we raise are a breed that was developed by breeding meat birds for a purpose, just like you'd breed dogs or horses until you'd get the type you were looking for. If you've read on the history of Vantress chickens, you'd know it was to answer a demand by consumers for more white meat on a bird. We do not give them hormones. We do remove feed for a certain amount of time during the night for the health of the bird. Vantress chickens eat constantly, they have to be fed a high protein feed to sustain them while growing, & that high protein can lead to heart attacks. Our chickens also have easy access to the outdoors.

We've also raised laying hens: California Greys, Rhode Island Reds, Aracaunas, Buff Orpingtons, Isa Browns, and Barred Rocks. There is not a significant amount of difference in leg deformities/diseases between the breeds, in fact we lose more layer chicks than broiler chicks every year.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:36 AM on May. 4, 2010

• mom116- it is SIMPLY just mixing 1 breed with another? I havent researched into it, but i dont think so... So much our food (meat -AND- Veg) has been altered at the DNA level just to meet the demands of consumers.. IT IS SICK!
    IF consumers really knew what they were eating they wouldnt do it! But thats a sad fact. Most people dont know what they are really putting into their mouths.. Just like vaccines, formula, house cleaners, fire retardant clothes, ec... its something most of us just trust in the goverment & want to believe they have our best interest at heart..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 4, 2010

• In 1948, when the Vantress breed was developed, they didn't have the DNA technology that we have now. I've been told they were developed by mixing turkeys and chickens but I'm not sure of the truth of that statement. Here's a link:  http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe50s/crops_09.html

I'm not going to disagree that there are many things that are not exactly what they should be. We do raise quite a bit of our own food and we know what goes into/on it. 

I know that poultry sold in the stores is usually injected with a saline (and who knows what else) solution to enhance its flavor. Vegetables and fruits are sprayed with chemicals to keep them from withering.  MSG is added to many frozen meals. How many people have actually eaten REAL food? The taste can be quite different.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:10 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Wow very inetersting,e are trying to lower our meat eating for these reasons .It it kind of hard some times.
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 12:40 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I new about the milk, not the chickens.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:53 PM on May. 4, 2010