Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could they take your kids away...

for not having power?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Yes. They can take your children away if you do not have power. That is considered neglect, as you're not providing the basic neccesities for child care. This being that you won't have water, heat, AC, or emergency contact through a land line phone if needed. They will see that as you not being able to provide for your children and they can take them away on those grounds. They most likely will.

    There are government programs .. Grants, benefits, etc .. that can help you pay your bills if you qualify. I agree with the above post. The more you try to better your situation by seeking out these programs, the better it will look for you in the long run. If you make no effort to better your situation and you are investigated by CPS, they will not have sympathy. Which will cause them to take away your children.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:16 AM on May. 4, 2010

  • Yes! And they do! In some states they are legally required to report all electric, water and/or gas shut offs to Child Protective Services... Usually they will do what they can to help you get them turned right back on, but they will take your kids over it...

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 PM on May. 3, 2010

  • Yes they can. I know someone that had that happen.

    Answer by robinalbright at 11:32 PM on May. 3, 2010

  • I do want to note though that this time of year it's less likely. It's mostly through the high heat of summer and the freeze of winter that they do that... But depending on your state, that could be different.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:32 PM on May. 3, 2010

  • They can and they should if you can't provide basic needs for your kids get them to someone who can.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on May. 3, 2010

  • you mean electricity? most states will help you if you have children and can't afford electricity. Do not be afraid to ask for help if you need it. Trying to make your situation better will only help you in the long run no matter what you have to do.

    Answer by writeon at 11:34 PM on May. 3, 2010

  • Also alot of local churches have funds set up to help with utility bills and you don't need to be a member.


    Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on May. 4, 2010