How do I get my toddler to stop biting?

My son recently decided that biting was a good idea. He's not teething either. He will randomly go up to his brother while playing and bite his finger. Time out's don't work because he runs to the corner and then tells you sorry as soon as he is there. We've tried sending him to his room and that doesn't work. He'll be two in a little over a week. I really don't like the idea of biting him back, but is that what I need to do? I feel like doing so would be encouraging the behavior. Any ideas?

zoechica

Asked by zoechica at 11:32 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ok my mom was one of those that if the child bites u bite them back. well i said id never do that but when ds was doing it i did it back it took 2 days before he stopped. dd was doing it but after i bite her once she stopped. i didnt do it hard just lighlty to show i meant business.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 11:46 PM on May. 3, 2010

• All 4 of our kids went through that, & the only thing that put a quick stop to it was when we bit them & explained to them that that is how it feels when they bite others. You don't have to do it very hard, just enough to help them understand the pain they are inflicting onto others when they bite. Worked like a charm.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:53 PM on May. 3, 2010

• no double standards you cannot bite them & say no biting that makes no sense.. get to his eye level say firmly no biting.. put him in a time-out.. be consistent if that don't work get to his eye level say no biting firmly then tap his bottom or mouth.. he'll stop I'm not a fan of do what I say Not what I do because in my experience kids will most likely copy some or most of their parents behaviors at one point in their life.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:55 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My son had a huge bitting problem! I tried everything from timeouts to putting him in his room. I was even asked if "everthing was okay at home". I finally just started to bite him back. I broke my heart and although I cried along with him the first few times I never let him see me do it. I would bite him as hard as he had bitten me but never enough to break his skin or to bruise him.
    Just bite him back, or let his brother bite him hard enough to send a message. It look about 4 days to get the point across to him but he finally got it.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 12:33 AM on May. 4, 2010