I have a question about Roses

my daughter sent me 2 dozen roses and told me that the outer petals should be removed so the flowers last longer......I did just that, I removed the outer first layer of petals and now they seem to be dying faster then if I would have left them alone.

Should the layers of petals be left alone? or do you really take off the first layer of petals?
Or maybe a bad batch of Roses?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you press the rose on the sides between your fingers and they feel firm, that's when they're a good quality/ fresh rose. If not, then they're old and won't last long after you give them to whoever, or won't last long after buying them and taking them out of the cold. The stem of the rose should also be solid/firm.
    If they were out of water when they were given to you, then you should cut the stems across diagonally instead of strait across and immediately put into a vase of water to promote water flow through the stem.
    Heat in any form will wilt and will age the roses faster, so keep them as cool as possible (without freezing them of course!)
    If you want to perserve them, then take them out of the water and tie them up somewhere, upside down.

As for taking the outer petals off....i've never heard this will make them last longer, rather it'll break the bud apart faster than if you just let them fall off.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:05 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I have always left them alone, and added some sprite to the water. It's possible that you received a bad batch. I have never heard of removing them....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:55 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I haven't heard of it making the rose last longer. When I worked in a floral shop, we pulled them off before putting them in an arrangement to make them look better because the outer petals were bent, torn, or bruised and discolored.

Could be that the florist sold her some older roses.  My husband had brought home roses that didn't last very long.  It's disappointing when they droop the next day.

Anonymous

• You aren't supposed to remove a rose petal unless is brown or looks dead or diseased. If you trim the stems, you have to trim them under water of they will die fast. You can put just a tiny bit of disolved asprin (not a whole one) in the water to help them last a bit longer.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:03 PM on May. 4, 2010