Would a diagnosis of ADHD and ODD be considered a mild disability?

I am trying to find a summer camp for my 5 year old son. He has already been kicked out of half the daycares in this area. Someone told me about a Camp Sunshine that offers day camp for students with a diagnosis of mild to moderate disablities. Would ADHD and ODD be considered a mild disability? He really is a good kid, he just needs someone to understand him. I am going to call them tomorrow but I don't want to make a fool of myself if it would not be considered as a disability.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes that is a disability. if he has an IEP he is in. if not the diagnosis should be enough. everyone is different in the level of functioning/ troubles with the symptoms but yes it is classified as a disability in schools (from the IDEA act)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:40 PM on May. 4, 2010

• probably not, I also think that most children are miss diagnosed with this. I think dr.'s/teachers/parents are quick to label a child add or whatever and slap them on medication because they do not know how to handle that child.
    Anonymous

• Not at age 5, certainly.
    Anonymous

• did you ever conscider the fact that your child might just be bad?
    Anonymous

• ADHD isn't a disability. It may be a set back in some areas, but it isn't classified as a dissability. Simply because it's not.
    I don't know what ODD is, so I couldn't tell you on that one.
    I agree with anon 10:59. If your child has been kicked out of daycares in the area.. don't you think you should be doing more then finding another place to stash him? It sounds like he needs proper attention to confront his behaviour.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:07 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Wow, thanks moms. What a great support system y'all are. I have been to three different doctors and each one has diagnosed him with ADHD and ODD. To Anon 11:59, no my son is not bad. Does he have had behaviors, occasionally he does, what child doesn't? However, most daycare workers can not handle a child who is "different". He has never harmed anyone. He gets kicked out because he has problems controlling his emotions and he can not focus and is very impulsive. I was hoping to find a summer camp where the staff might actually understand him. But again, thanks ladies for being such the typical "perfect mom" who knows about everything and everyone's situation.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 4, 2010

• ODD is not a disability, it's a behavioral problem, that can be overcome with counseling. I know, I had it.
    ADHD is also behavioral.

Autism is a disability. Downs is a disability.

BUT give the place a call sweetie! That's the best way to know if they will accept him or not. None of the rude people on here will be able to tell you, they will just put you down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Thank you Anon 12:15. He is in counseling now and has come a long way. I have always known in my heart that he has ADHD but the ODD did not come about until after his dad came back home from Iraq. We thought that he might have Asperger's but his symptoms are borderline right now, so the doctor said they will recheck him again next year. I will call tomorrow and see if they will accept him or know of a summer camp that might be suitable for him. Thanks again!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Im going to disagree. I dont have a child with ODD, though they thought my son might have had it before hsi diagnosis of ADHD and aspergers.

I do, however, have a 12 year old step daughter with super bad ADHD. Not just my opinion but the opinion of every doctor, therapist, psychologist and teacher she's come in contact with. I would consider anything that makes a child eligible for an IEP in school would be considered a disability, whether it be physical or mental. Not all ADHD children need an IEP, but my step daughter does. And yes, I woudl consider her ADHD a disability.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on May. 4, 2010

• It can't hurt to check and when I was reading this I was going to say is it possible he has Aspergers because you say how is he is a good kid but just needs people to understand him. My son is rarely bad but in school he couldn't handle it and was always in the office etc and freaking out. He probably looked like a bad kid but it was him getting upset over routines not being followed etc....I decided to homeschool him so I could work with him one on one and it's been pretty good. Sure he tries to test me, but what kid wouldn't ?

Anyway I would just go ahead and call the camp because it seems you are just going to get rude answers here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on May. 4, 2010