I am o neg. do I have to get a hyperRHO injection everytime I am pregnant?

I got one for my first pregnancy now I am pregnant again do I need those shots again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes but not untill the middle of the pregnancy and then again after the baby is born
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:53 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Yes. Although if you didn't get it, it likely wouldn't hurt THIS pregnancy...but if the blood of your baby mixed with your own during the pregnancy or delivery and you created Rh antibodies, there is a good chance you would lose your next pregnancy and any thereafter because your blood would attack future pregnancies. The shots have to be given during each pregnancy at around 28 weeks. After delivery your baby will be tested for his or her blood type, and if he or she is Rh + you will be given another shot. It sucks, I know. I had mine a couple months back and those things hurt like a m**************. I think it's because they are so COLD from being refrigerated. Just the price was pay to be mothers I guess.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:03 AM on May. 4, 2010

• It depends on the blood type of the father. If he is also RH negative then no, you don't need to get the injections because there is no chance that your baby will be RH positive (which is when the danger occurs). If the father is RH positive then there is a chance that baby is also positive, and then you need to recieve the shot after any sensitizing event. A fall, a placental abruption, or birth for example. The 28 week shot is not strictly NECESSARY, it's more like "just in case" you had a sensitizing event, even though you would have to have had the event less than 72 hours prior to the shot. It really is totally pointless unless you did have an event and have an RH positive partner.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:10 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I am O- also. My DH is AB+ so because he is positive I have to have the shots while preggo. If he was negative then I wouldn't. After the baby is born it depends on the babys blood type. My DS1 was B- so i didn't have to get one. Now DD was B+ and DS2 was A+ so I had one after they were born.
    Dianebrooke

Answer by Dianebrooke at 1:20 AM on May. 4, 2010