croup?

ok so saturday night my ds started coughing slightly. after he went to bed though it got super bad. The barky cough that is classic for croup and really bad wheezy (you could here it in the other room). I sat with him the rest of the night because he couldnt sleep. sunday morning i took him to urgent care and by the time we got there he was no longer wheezing. During all of this no fever or any other symptoms. i always thought there was cold symptoms before croup. ds was diagnosed with croup and was given oral steriods to help the cough. Today, around 1pm ds randomly got a fever of 101 and acted miserable. he was acting tired the previous days but thats all. he actually took a second nap today. i gave him one dose of tylenol and the fever never came back. does this really sound like croup? or could it be something else? it seems strange that there were no symptoms leading up to the "croup" and the random fever. sorry so long

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter has chronic croup. We keep a vial of liquid steroids at home for emergencies. She's only had to take it once though. She's 3. Hers will start in the middle of the night with NO symptoms at all. I've had her checked for all allergies and for asthma just to be sure and she's totally healthy. But she's even cried so hard she's given herself the barking cough. BUT a fever, or cold symptoms are not uncommon. My daughter is just one of those cases that gets the sela cough in the middle of the night with absolutely no other symptoms. A good thing to do though is sit in a super steamy bathroom for 10 or 15 mins and then go outside into cool night air, then back into the bathroom and continue this rotation for an hour. It helps a lot.
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 3:12 AM on May. 4, 2010