croup?

ok so saturday night my ds started coughing slightly. after he went to bed though it got super bad. The barky cough that is classic for croup and really bad wheezy (you could here it in the other room). I sat with him the rest of the night because he couldnt sleep. sunday morning i took him to urgent care and by the time we got there he was no longer wheezing. During all of this no fever or any other symptoms. i always thought there was cold symptoms before croup. ds was diagnosed with croup and was given oral steriods to help the cough. Today, around 1pm ds randomly got a fever of 101 and acted miserable. he was acting tired the previous days but thats all. he actually took a second nap today. i gave him one dose of tylenol and the fever never came back. does this really sound like croup? or could it be something else? it seems strange that there were no symptoms leading up to the "croup" and the random fever. sorry so long

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• When my middle got croup he usually did not have cold symptoms first. It would come on suddenly at night and he would be 'barking'. Then a day or so later he would not be feeling well and have a cold.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:29 AM on May. 4, 2010

• It could be.... did you ask them how they diagnosed him at the dr.s? The biggest and most telling thing fro croup really IS the cough. If you think it could be something else... I might just take him back and ask them to run a culture or something where they actually take a look at the virus.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:54 PM on May. 4, 2010

• We've only had croup one time. I sat in the steamy bathroom in the middle of the night and that was that, really. I never even took my son to the doctor. I wonder if your little one just has a virus. Just wait it out and keep him comfortable.
    NearSeattleMom

Answer by NearSeattleMom at 7:34 PM on May. 4, 2010

• my son gets the croup every spring idk why but he does! He has never had symptoms leading up to it... it just hits him
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 8:13 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Yup, when my daughter got it, she got the bark-y cough out of the blue and was only sick with a fever a couple days later, once the cough went away.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:23 PM on May. 5, 2010