Whats so bad about giving your child a passy?

I seen a post on her earlier where a mom was getting bashed for giving her baby a passy. I dont understand whats so bad about it that someone would put down another mother? Can someone explain this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nothing. I have actually heard they help reduce the risk of sids. Both of my sons were EBF and refused to take one but I would have given them one (for a few months anyway) if they would have. I do not think children over a few months old should have them.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:32 AM on May. 4, 2010

• My DD took a passy until she was 6 months old, she refused them after that. Before she was born, I didn't want her to be a three year old walking around with a passy... but now that's 1... I wish she still took one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Nothing at all! some people don't like them as it is then something you have to make the child give up later. Mine all had them - absolute Must have for my house.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:00 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I nurse my kids and at first was VERY nervous about nipple confusion and wanted nothing to do with pacifiers. That said, my kids can suck the paint off a wall, so using my breasts as a pacifier did NOT work!!

My 1st spent the first 3 wks of her life sucking on my hubby's pinky finger ALL NIGHT so that my breasts could have a break & so we all could get some sleep! At 1 month old, we gave her a binky & never looked back! She needed the extra sucking / soothing, but very easily weaned back to nap time & bed time only (by 7 months) and was completely off of it shortly after 1 year.

My 2nd absolutely refused one, but she didn't need the extra sucking / soothing either. She did suck on her own fist sometimes. Now pregnant with my 3rd, I have no idea what to expect, but I am not opposed to it if necessary! It totally saved my breasts and my sanity with my first!!
    sjjeaster

Answer by sjjeaster at 2:16 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Nothing wrong with it. My older daughter sucked her thumb instead of a pacifier and I still find her sucking on her thumb in the middle of the night when she's asleep and she's 5! My younger daughter had a pacifier and at 2 I took it away and she never looked back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I have 4 year old twins who were born at 32 weeks. In the NICU, they were both given a paci. One of them took it, the other was a thumb sucker from the get-go. Guess who's still sucking... not my paci baby! No matter what I try, I can not get my daughter to give up her thumb and it's apparently hereditary. Her father and his twin were both thumb suckers too. My son gave up his paci at about 20 months. Before anyone jumps on that, he was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor at 10 months old and needed his paci to help deal with the stress. He used it through his stem cell transplant and recovery. Once he was done with the blood transfusions and whatnot, he gave it up for good. He has never sucked his thumb. My oldest never did either.
    As to why moms bash so much here, I don't know. No one knows our children better than we do. It's none of anyone's business what happens in our homes.
    Eris822

Answer by Eris822 at 7:48 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Nothing..Babies have a natural reflex to suck, even if they aren't hungry. Some moms are against it because they think moms that give one, do it at the wrong times, to get a baby to stop crying instead of figuring out the real problem, and they think that babies will eat less. Some moms do that. Not all though. It helps reduce risk of SIDS, it prevents the baby from going into too deep of a sleep. My son won't take one. Sometimes I wish he would, but he just sucks on his hands.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:27 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Nothing's wrong with it. My 1st and 4th had pacis, my 2nd sucked his fingers (MUCH harder to get rid of than a paci!), and my 3rd didn't want anything (she was the worst sleeper out of all 4). And, as a pp mentioned it reduces the risk of SIDS. Oh - and all 4 of my kids were breastfed and never had a problem with "nipple confusion" or not eating enough.

Answer by missanc at 9:18 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Nothing's wrong with it. I kind of wish my first took to the passy instead of her thumb. I could have thrown the pacifier away when I decided she was done with it, but that thumb is firmly attached.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:53 AM on May. 4, 2010

• NOTHING! To many of these moms on here seem to think they are perfect and make no mistakes. So the fact that they didn't give their kids passy means that anyone that does must be wrong... It's arrogance on their part, not ignorance on yours!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:16 AM on May. 4, 2010