Has anyone ever had to let a doctor use a urine catheter on their child?

My two and a half year old was having a lot of trouble going to the bathroom last week so I took her to the ER. She kept telling me it hurt and she was crying. So the doctor said they were going to have to do a urine catheter to get some urine for a test. When the nurses came in she started crying before they even got near her. They had so much trouble trying to get it in her and I know it was painful because even though I lay still it hurts. My question is, if any of you have ever had this performed on your child, what were the after effects on them? She now refuses to go to the potty, she just goes on herself and all over the house. She wakes up screaming in the night, and sometimes just doesn't act like herself. I asked her pediatrician if any of it was normal and he said yes, but I want an opionion from another mother who can tell me what they think. Someone please help. (Sorry that was so long, just tryin to explain it.)

brookiesmom07

Asked by brookiesmom07 at 2:38 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She most likely has a UTI and if you have never had one then lucky you cause they are VERY VERY painful and uncomfortable getting a catheter put in so ya how and what she doing is completely normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I am so sorry your dd went through this horribe expierence,,,,My dd had constant UTI's and when she was about 6 they did tests on her...during the catheter we all agreed to put her into a twilight sleep,,she wasnt out but she was super groggy enought to not remember the procedure. If you even have to go through this again with dd request the twilight sleep med,,,for now,,,just hold her and hug her during the night terrors,,,,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on May. 4, 2010

• OMG yes!!!! It was awful seeing my baby go through that!!! They had a doctor and 2 nurses hold my 2 yo dd down... I was pissed!! But she had a UTI with a fever and was really sick. When they got her meds she was much better but terrified of doctors!!! Shed have nightmares or would start crying when meeting new people... But I've explained a regular trip to the doctor and how friendly they are so now she always wants to go! We play dr a lot and she checks my eyes and mouth. It took a few months but she got over that fear quick! We've been to the dr twice now, the first time she held my hand through the whole thing and was actully looking forward to her second visit!
    It is traumatic, but they do recover! Just be with her through her fears and she will feel better! As far as peeing... Did you already get the meds??? It took dd about a week to feel better and she wasn't potty training at the time!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:20 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Well my son has not had to have one but I have had two (catheters) and let me tell you if you have a UTI already it burns to pee and your "peehole" is constantly sore and raw feeling. It even feels swollen when you walk and causes mild pain and irritation to do so. The catheter removal without a UTI will make it greatly uncomfortable to urinate, walk, etc. for a few days because much like a UTI it really irritates the inside of the urethra all the way from the bladder on out. So if she had a UTI (which it sounds like it) she is having double the pain and irritation.

Make sure she is taking her meds and drinking lots, lots, lots, of water and cranberry juices. Also try to give her showers instead of baths until the ordeal is all cleared up because the soap and residue in the bath water can cause more irritation. Other than that all you can do is be there to clean her up and cuddle when she hurts/is
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 11:39 AM on May. 4, 2010

• sadOh God it makes me want to throw up thinking about how much that hurt her...ugghh.... poor baby :( Ow my heart... Why couldn't they just wait for her to pee or something...waaaaaaah

Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:19 PM on May. 6, 2010