How to clean a toilet!???

I never had any trouble keeping toilets clean until I moved to the UK. I think it's the water combined with the shape of the toilets here, but they get hard crusty stuff at the bottom and anywhere the water touches. I've tried oxiclean, bleach, scrubbing bubbles, CLR, toilet bowl cleaner, and the little blue things that you put in the back... and so far, nothing seems to work. I spend hours scrubbing the bottom.. and the only thing that made it slightly easier was the oxiclean, but it still didn't help much. Any advice? Anyone live in the UK? I try to super clean them once a month, but I clean them out with a brush and toilet bowl cleaner almost everyday, but the crust still builds up on the bottom! HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Ooooh here's an idea I just had after I posted my first answer.... Contact a contracted cleaning company like Molly Maid or the UK equivalent and ask how they do it. If anyone knows it would be people who do it every day.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:16 PM on May. 6, 2010

• yikes.. try draining out the water and applying baking soda and vinegar or any one of those cleaning agent DIRECTLY onto the crusty stuff. take a scraper to it if you have to. do other people have this problem in the UK? I doubt you are alone in it. Ask around.. find a janitor and ask what they use to clean the toilets! or a hotel!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:58 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Hard-water deposits — that stubborn ring or crust at the waterline inside the bowl — generally won’t respond to cleaning with bleach-based products. Instead, use a bowl cleaner containing acid or a mineral-descaling product after forcing as much water out of the bowl as possible. Wear skin, hand and eye protection while working with any product containing acid. Let the cleaner soften the scale for several minutes or longer, then scrub with a toilet brush.

If that doesn’t work well, you may use a green nylon scrubbing pad to remove scale or stains as long as the bowl is made of porcelain or vitreous china. Green pads are fairly abrasive and can scratch any other bowl material. If the crust remains and the bowl is white vitreous china, flush the acid cleaner and scrub the deposit using a well-moistened pumice stone
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 3:01 AM on May. 4, 2010

• How about efferdent? That stuff works on dentures and they are porcelain too. I have heard once that the stuff works wonders in the toilet bowl.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:32 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Lime Away?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:14 PM on May. 6, 2010