Has anyone READ this new law in Arizona???

I live in AZ, I did not want this bill passed. But I am fed up with all the ignorance over this law. The average person up in arms over this law has NOT read it!
Police officers WON'T be going door to door checking legal documents of brown skinned people.
Police will NOT pull someone over purely because they have brown skin.
Police will NOT arrest someone in Home Depot's parking lot because they have brown skin.

The law is the same as Federal law, only now it is State law. The law simply states when an individual is pulled over or has otherwise commited a crime and cannot provide proper ID (driver's license) than the officer can ask the individual's immigration status. If the officer believes the individual is in the US illegally then that person will be turned over to ICE.
That is EXACTLY how the law has been for years and years and years. Only now it is an Arizona state law as well as a Federal law

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I really appreciate what you are trying to do. However, I fear that there are some on here who, no matter how logical and factual you are, will not believe that the police will be anything other than professional and unbiased. They will believe until their dying breath that the police are jumping for joy at the chance to sit on a street corner, waiting for the first latino to walk down the street to be snagged up in their search for illegals. Never mind what the law says, the police in AZ are just sooooo racist and biased that they won't be able to control those racist impulses to target any latino. After all, even the pres says that a family going for ice cream is in danger of being harassed. And what better authority on racist behavior do we have than the POTUS????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Kudos for trying to correct any misinterpretation! However, "B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT" (I cut and pasted, I'm not yelling) doesn't say they have to be arrested or pulled over. Lawful contact can be a simple as a cop walking up to you in Home Depot and asking you to see your id, all the cop has to do is say you are loitering. I personally know cops who will pull ppl over and break their taillight w/ their flashlight as they approach, that's enough reason for a traffic stop. I DON'T think all or even most cont..
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:51 AM on May. 4, 2010

• cops are corrupt but there are those that are. "E. A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, WITHOUT A WARRANT, MAY ARREST A PERSON IF THE OFFICER HAS PROBABLE CAUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THE PERSON HAS COMMITTED ANY PUBLIC OFFENSE THAT MAKES THE PERSON REMOVABLE FROM THE UNITED STATES" (cut & paste) I can see where the corrupt cops can use this to knock on a door and arrest someone who can't produce papers. A warrant means some oversight, you have to convince a judge some one's guilty. This allows cops to make snap judgements without having to prove their point. I hope that this law won't be used in the manner the fear mongers on tv make it out to be. I'm not up in arms over, I don't live in AZ & frankly am way to busy right now to get that upset over anything that happens on tv. Having thought thru how I'd feel, if I was illegal (I'm not) and lived in AZ (I don't) I'd move too! I hear CA's nice this time of year! :)

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:58 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Nyx7~(I cut and pasted, I'm not yelling) doesn't say they have to be arrested or pulled over. Lawful contact can be a simple as a cop walking up to you in Home Depot and asking you to see your id, all the cop has to do is say you are loitering.

Your quote is not updated.  On Friday, the Gove signed revisions to the bill~They changed it to Lawful Stop, detention, or arrest. In order to stop one Law Enforcement must have probable cause. They also cannt base the Lawful stop, detention, or arrest on race.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:11 AM on May. 4, 2010

• All the republicans on here love to call Obama a socialist but ya know what all the people for this bill and the repubs all up in arms over immigrants are the ones sounding like socialist; National Socialist Movement aka KKK, Neo Nazi's! These hate groups have a lot of new recruits and they are using immigrants and the anger over the whole situation to increase their following, and its working!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the clarification, the cut and paste was from the original text. Nice to see someone else saw some potential issues w/ this and put some measures into place to deal w/ it. Unfortuantely that's usually what happens w/ a new law or one they want to start implementing. You have to start somewhere and when problems arise take steps to address those issues. As long as ppl speak up about their concerns this checks and balance works. When we are silent and let those in power make all the decisions for us is when we truly lose our rights. Wish ppl could figure out how to debate issues w/out all the misinfomation, anger, and hate. (the ppl on tv, not the comments here)
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:19 AM on May. 4, 2010

• If you are here legally you have nothing to worry about. It's a minor inconvenience. The only ones who NEED to worry are the ones who did not use the proper channels to get here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Just wait for the first few people who are hispanic who are here legally have anything like this happen to them, oh the law suits. And who will pay for said suits, you got it, the tax payers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Let a legal hispanic loose or forget their drivers license and lets see what happens. Just wait and see.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on May. 4, 2010