when is a good time to switch to a toddler bed/ transitional bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 24 mo. old, and she just got her "big girl bed" which is just a transitional bed. It will take some time to get them used to having to stay in their bed to take naps and to sleep at night, but she loves it. I have to go in during nap time, and put her back in her bed, but she finally listens. It just takes routine.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 12:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• when is really up to you and the child. Most toddler beds have recommended minimum ages on them usually 15-24 months. The reason they may have minimum limits...entrapments hazards for very small children. My g/d stayed in a toddler bed until she was 5 because she is so tiny.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• When your baby can crawl out of his crib it becomes a danger, that is the best time, which is different for all babies. I personally think that leaving them in the crib as long as possible, up to the point that they can get out by themselves, is safer and easier.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 12:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Well when my daughter started climbing out of the baby bed is when I switched. I think it is really up to you and your child.
    crissya1981

Answer by crissya1981 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My son is almost 21 months and LOVES his crib! Alot of my other friends children that are his age are in a big boy/girl bed!! I am thinking about changing him to his big boy bed after his second birthday or when he trys to start climbing out!! He is a monkey... but has yet tried to climb out of his bed... if he wakes up before me or his father he will lay in there and play with his puppy (his blanket) or just watch tv!! I am not ready for him to be in a big boy bed cause then that will mean he is growing up and is not my little baby boy anymore lol!! Good luck!
    aydens_mama

Answer by aydens_mama at 2:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My daughter got in her toddler bed right as she turned two she did very well with it never had any problems with her staying in it cause she has her own tv and dvd player and she watches movies till she falls asleep. So we had no problem.
    lacey416

Answer by lacey416 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• my daughter switched at 18-19 mos.
    lillygabesmom

Answer by lillygabesmom at 4:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• my son got his toddler bed at 18 months because he absolutely refused to sleep in his crib... he wanted to be in my bed not to be with me but because he was ready to get out on his own and not be trapped behind bars
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 6:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i switched my daughter at 18 months. she was climbing out of her crib and other people started to really scare my with stories of children getting hurt after climbing/falling out of their cribs. so we converted it to a toddlr bed and shortly after a friend of mine gave her an extra twin bed she had. when my daughter saw the bed she jumped in it screaming and was so happy. then she plopped down and took a nap! i didnt even have a chance to get sheets on it! we also took her to the store to pick out her own bed linens and she has loved her bed ever since. it is up to you guys when you think our child is ready. ive always been told, if your child loves the crib and stays in it (doesnt climb out) then why change it?
    madismummy

Answer by madismummy at 8:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I usually had my kids in their toddler beds by the time they were two. My oldest went to a toddler bed a little sooner than that as she was climbing out of her crib on her own and I didn't want her to fall and get hurt.
    Jenn71973

Answer by Jenn71973 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2008