Car seat for a three year old

I am very confused about which car seat to buy for our son who is going to be three soon. He is about 35 pounds and average height. Please advise?

Sidsmom607

Asked by Sidsmom607 at 6:56 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get one with a 5-point harness. The ones you find will probably even convert to a high-back booster when he outgrows the harness. But you should keep him in the harness until at least 40 lbs (you should be able to find relatively reasonably-priced carseats that harness up to 65 lbs), the longer the better.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:26 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I would get one that has a 5 point harness for sure. We have the Graco Nautilus and it has one of the highest straps and weight limits for the harness and then converts to a high back booster and then a no back booster. My almost 5 year old is still in the harness and he is tall for his age. I plan on buying another Nautilus when our daughter outgrows the seat she is in now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:30 AM on May. 4, 2010

• hello other moms, please let me know which brand worked for you. Thank you for answering the quesion aeneva and DragonriderMD.
    Sidsmom607

Answer by Sidsmom607 at 12:35 PM on May. 5, 2010

• We're currently using the Evenflo Triumph Advance with our 1-year-old and soon-to-be 3-year-old. It's a convertible seat that rear-faces to 35 lbs and harnesses forward-facing to 50 lbs. But if I were to buy a new seat now for my older kid, I've heard good things about the Graco Nautilus; it's a harness-to-booster seat, harnesses up to 65 lbs, booster up to 100 lbs (high-back, then backless). You can find it for about $150.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:06 PM on May. 5, 2010