what is the weight for changing to a high back booster??

k, so... i'm really just curious. i don't think i'm going to be taking away the harness on my 4 year old's (5 in december) seat any time soon, but i've been looking at what the minimum weight is for a highback booster, and i keep getting conflicting info. some say 30lbs, others say 40. anyone know which it is?

gracefulsky

Asked by gracefulsky at 7:15 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my daughter switched to a booster, the legal weight limit was 30 lbs. I think now it's 40. She's super tall for her age and when she outgrew her Eddie Bauer when she was 4, I could NOT afford to go buy another $200 carseat, and my car has adjustable seatbelts to lower the height of it, so she fit really well in her booster. She's almost 6 now, and even though she's only 43lbs, there is no way with her height she'd fit in anything but a booster lol. But to answer your question, I think that the legal weight is 40lbs now. I don't know about a legal height (I think there might be one) you would have to check your state laws.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:50 AM on May. 4, 2010

• 5lbs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on May. 4, 2010

• it depends on your seat. Some seats the 5 point harness will go to 50 pounds (some even 65 pounds). I tend to use the 5 point for as long as I can. I tell my son, when he asks why his 3 yo friend is in a regular booster, it is what race-car drivers use, so that must be the best seat belt for him!

The other thing to consider before taking the straps out is maturity level. Will he sit in the seat and leave the regular seat belt straps where they are supposed to be? Or will he wiggle around, slide the shoulder belt under his arm, ect, ect.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:35 AM on May. 4, 2010

• oops! Sorry I read that wrong... your looking for minimun weights for the booster, not maxium weights for the 5 point.

Check your States seat belt Laws. Each state is different. Try to Google "your state + car seat Booster law". You should be able to find a list with the minium weight and age.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:38 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Personally I leave them in the 5 point harness as long as possible, but it's not just the weight you have to look at but whether the straps are ABOVE their shoulders or not. Your state has a minimum age and weight law also, but the reason the seats say different things is because different seats are built differently and have different limits. My son is turning 5 in 8 days and is still in his 5 point harness and has about 1/2 inch before the straps are too short and about 25 lbs before he hits the weight limit. Our seat then converts to the high back booster and eventually to a no back booster.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:28 AM on May. 4, 2010

• "My son is turning 5 in 8 days and is still in his 5 point harness and has about 1/2 inch before the straps are too short and about 25 lbs before he hits the weight limit."

Mine too! He'll be 5 on the 13th and is still in his 5 point. Ours doesn't convert, and I have the booster already. He really wants to use the booster now (because it has a reading light and great cup/toy holders on both sides. His car seat has no extras. But, I am trying to keep him in the 5 point until it no longer fits him because the 5 point is just safer for him. That is why I keep telling him that the race car drivers that he thinks are cool use 5 point seat belts.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:33 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Every time you move up the car seat ladder, from rear facing, to forward facing, to high back booster, to no back, to just a seat belt, you take a step back on safety. As to when to move into a high back booster, the minimum is 40 lbs. My 4 year old (He turned 4 in march) is 38 lbs and 41" tall. He is not physically ready yet, but outgrew his convertible carseat a month before he turned 3. So I bought his a Graco Nautilus. He still has a ton of room to grow. I would say over 2" more in torso height, and 27 lbs more before he hits the weight limit. I will keep him harnessed as long as I feel he needs it. Once a child is 40+ lbs and is mature enough to keep his seat belt over his shoulder and not slouch, wiggle or unbuckle the the seat while driving, they are usually ready for a high back booster. I will keep my son in a high back until he outgrows it, because of the side impact protection that is absent in a low back booster.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 9:07 AM on May. 4, 2010

• 40 pounds at least but like others have said, there are carseats that go beyond that. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on May. 4, 2010

• each seat is different. gotta check the seat itself. some harnesses only harness up to 40lbs otherwise u have to buy one of the new seats that they should have had a long time ago that go from 5-100 lbs and harness up to 65.
    lildqsmama

Answer by lildqsmama at 2:05 PM on May. 4, 2010

• New rules is what the seat is labeled. If it says 30lbs. or 40lbs. will depend on the manufacturer. Just make sure height requirements are also met.

Anonymous