BPA & Breastpumps?

I have the old pump from when I had my son (5ish years ago) I know it is NOT BPA free. But does it really matter that its not. I will not be feeding him out of the bottle that came with the pump. I will put it in a different bottle. I also wont be saving the milk in the bottlle that came with the pump. It will be in a different container. So is it really that important to have a BPA free pump?
I really dont know anything about BPA, so I am not sure how it works. I think I read that it is only activated when you heat the bottle, which I wont be heating the bottle other than to wash it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jasmine0530

Asked by Jasmine0530 at 7:32 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BPA is an endocrine disrupting chemical. It's banned in most of the developed world but the US allows it. We know it is linked to intersex changes in amphibians (male frogs developing eggs and female sex characteristics).

The pump itself does not have BPA in it. It is a metal machine. The tubing, bottles, suction cups, and other plastic parts may have BPA. You can buy new plastic tubing and cups and bottles very cheaply compared to buying a new pump system. Most of the new tubes of the same brand will fit the older pumps.

BPA can leach without heat. Glass bottles or BPA free bottles are the best bet. Wee-go, Dr. Brown, and Medela all have BPA free feeding supplies.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:41 AM on May. 4, 2010