BPA & Breastpumps?

I have the old pump from when I had my son (5ish years ago) I know it is NOT BPA free. But does it really matter that its not. I will not be feeding him out of the bottle that came with the pump. I will put it in a different bottle. I also wont be saving the milk in the bottlle that came with the pump. It will be in a different container. So is it really that important to have a BPA free pump?
I really dont know anything about BPA, so I am not sure how it works. I think I read that it is only activated when you heat the bottle, which I wont be heating the bottle other than to wash it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jasmine0530

Asked by Jasmine0530 at 7:32 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I believe it only comes into play if you get it hot enough, put in microwave or dishwasher. Can you use a regular bottle to pump in?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:47 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I think that since the milk will have such minimal exposure to the plastic that it probably wont make a difference. It would be more of a concern if you were planning on storing the milk in it, but you already said you aren't doing that!

I wouldn't see it being a concern!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:52 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I'm pretty sure the BPA only comes into play with heating of bottles. I'd be wary of storage, as well, though....seeing how you'll be doing neither with the bottles, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be an issue. If I'm wrong, however, I'm sure someone will correct me! :D
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 4:46 PM on May. 5, 2010