BPA & Breastpumps?

I have the old pump from when I had my son (5ish years ago) I know it is NOT BPA free. But does it really matter that its not. I will not be feeding him out of the bottle that came with the pump. I will put it in a different bottle. I also wont be saving the milk in the bottlle that came with the pump. It will be in a different container. So is it really that important to have a BPA free pump?
I really dont know anything about BPA, so I am not sure how it works. I think I read that it is only activated when you heat the bottle, which I wont be heating the bottle other than to wash it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jasmine0530

Asked by Jasmine0530 at 7:33 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Health

• anytime a liquid comes in contact w/ a plastic some of the chemicals leach into the liquid. A short exposure time like the pump won't allow large amounts of BPA to get into your milk. If it was me I'd replace em just to be on the safe side, anytime you wash them you'll be heating them and the BPA will leach out then. I'd be more concerned w/ not storing or giving your baby milk in any type of plastic bottle & later sippy cup.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:37 AM on May. 4, 2010