how or why do they determine if you have PCOS?

and what is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Health

• PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome is a pain in the butt to have. I wasn't diagnosed until I was trying for our second child. My symptoms are; Acne (age 32), over weight especially in the butt/stomach area, fatigue, cysts, no periods. Others have other symptoms but its a fertility killer as well. Some people get pregnant while they have PCOS but others have a really hard time. The only cure is a hystorectomy. PCOS also can give you a higher chance of heart disease (heart attacks etc), strokes and other major health problems.

I read and learned about PCOS on the Mayo Clinics website. Its the best one yet. To get diagnosed, I had to do an ultrasound to find the cysts. I average approx 12-20 cysts per ovary and when they pop, I'm doubled in pain and I cannot move.
    Hockeymom13

Answer by Hockeymom13 at 9:43 AM on May. 4, 2010

• The cysts POP???? Could you elaborate on that a bit? My dd (17 yo) has PCOS, and I never knew the cysts could pop! She has been diagnosed for about 3 yrs now. She is very short -- 4' 10" and has a little bit more acne than her sisters do, but not terribly bad. She isn't overweight at all, but she doesn't have periods.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry. I hate to scare you but yes they pop or burst, it feels like lower back pain sometimes for me. When they started to burst for me, I went into the ER. I thought I did something to my back. I take Aleve for them and its the only thing that helps me. I didn't gain my weight until I had my son. I ended up having a C-Section and it took me a good 5 years to lose a little bit. Now I'm back down to a size 10 (he'll be 8 next week) but I will tell you this. Its extremely hard to lose weight, worst for PCOS sufferers then an average woman. I had to seriously go to a dietician and such. Oh and I forgot to mention, she has a really good chance of getting diabetes. I recommend to watch what she eats, exercise and such. Watch her sugars for sure. It can be scary thing to have but its maintainable.
    Hockeymom13

Answer by Hockeymom13 at 10:34 PM on May. 4, 2010